EDAC’s members are a diverse group of economic development professionals from coast to coast to coast in Canada. We work in major urban centres, rural areas and everywhere in between. Some of us are new to the profession, while others have been working in the field for decades.
As a group, our members are the voice for economic development in Canada.
We are here for you – so we can build a stronger community together.
- Enjoy the benefits of a nation-wide network
- Gain professional recognition as an Ec.D.
- Enjoy preferential rates for conferences, professional development, programs, etc.
- Advance your education at the University of Waterloo, the University of Sherbrooke, University of Calgary, Ryerson University, and more partner institutions.
- Access to a National Economic Development Network
- 24/7 member knowledge sharing forum
- Annual Conference dealing with current topics in economic development
- National & international networking
- Opportunitites and Resources
- Peer Review Team
- Performance Measurement in Economic Development
- EDAC’s Guide: The Essentials of Economic Development Practices, Principles and Planning 2.0
- Scholarships: EDAC, annually awards a limited number of Scholarships to members who have demonstrated a need for financial assistance.
EDAC members who complete our certification process, including required points, courses, employment within the profession, and successfully pass EDAC’s stringent Ec.D. exam will be granted EDAC’s professional designation, Certified Economic Developer (Ec.D.).
Find out more Ec.D. Certification.
Economic developers can broaden their education and improve their skills while still maintaining full employment.
Year 1/Year 2 Program
EDAC’s Economic Development courses/program is offered throughout Canada. It was established in 1972 by EDAC and the University of Waterloo and has been offered in French since 1988, at the University of Sherbrooke in co-operation with the Association des Professionnels en Developpement Economique du Quebec (APDEQ).
The Masters Degree
EDAC helped develop the Master of Economic Development and Innovation (MEDI) – the first of its kind in Canada – at the University of Waterloo. Find out more.
EDAC’s four-day Annual Professional Development Conference encourages members and those close to the field to engage in networking and sessions focused on current topics pertaining to Economic Development across Canada and beyond.
EDAC’s Marketing Canada Awards celebrates best practices and sustainability in marketing across Canada.
The Economic Developers Association of Canada; (EDAC), Council for Urban Economic Development, (CUED), USA; European Association of Development Agencies (EURADA) and the Australian Regional Best Practice Network (ARBPN) signed a Memorandum of Understanding on September 24, 1995
To promote and enable an international exchange of information, experience and best practice among economic development practitioners and organizations.
To assist members of respective organizations to develop bilateral contacts/or common projects; to facilitate an international learning exchange and to develop electronic networks for information exchange for both organizations and their members.
- EDAC Group Home and Auto Insurance: Visit the website enter group discount code E2414
- There’s strength in numbers, which means serious savings for group members like you.
With your group advantage, we’ll apply your group’s discount to our standard group rate for a car or home insurance policy. It’s that simple.
- Pet Insurance
EDAC Group Employee Benefits Packages – RWAM
Marriott Hotel discounts
Costco Membership Incentive
Hakim Optical discounts
Economic Development matters
Economic Development is at the heart of every great community. Economic developers have a common objective: building stronger, more resilient, inclusive economies.