Company Overview –
Calgary Economic Development
Calgary Economic Development is a conduit, connector, catalyst and storyteller for one of Canada’s most entrepreneurial and innovative cities. Calgary Economic Development’s purpose is to advance economic growth and diversification, support the creation of shared prosperity and help build a vibrant and sustainable community. We work with business, government and community partners to position Calgary as the location of choice for the purpose of attracting business investment, fostering trade and strengthening Calgary’s workforce.
Managed by an independent Board of Directors, Calgary Economic Development is a not-for-profit corporation funded by the City of Calgary, other orders of government, community partners and private sector through the Action Calgary program.
For additional information on Calgary Economic Development, please visit their website at calgaryeconomicdevelopment.com.
The Role –
Vice President, Trade & Investment Attraction
Based in Calgary and reporting to the President & CEO, the Vice President, Trade & Investment Attraction will be responsible for the strategic direction and leadership of attracting new business activity from around the world, supporting the retention and growth of existing Calgary businesses through the development of a robust international investment & trade program and overseeing the operation of the Global Business Centre. This senior position is also responsible for the sustaining and enhancing our Action Calgary private sector program. This position participates as an active member of the Senior Management Team.
Key responsibilities for this role are:
- Attract global business investment – after identifying high potential and growth strategies, this leader and their team will develop and implement a well thought out “take-to-market” strategy for the purpose of attracting investment and global companies in both established and emerging global markets. This leader has a clear understanding of global trends and economic influences and can build a strong business case to mobilize resources to capitalize on opportunities for Calgary and region.
- Develop trade & investment programming for local companies – with connections to senior leaders this Vice President will have a good pulse on the local business community and government programming. They will lead the creation of a Calgary specific trade & investment program. Along with their team, they will act as conduits and connectors that will support local companies’ growth and expansion into new markets and new customers.
- Leverage the Global Business Centre – considering trade and investment opportunities, this Vice President will guide their team in assessing and reinvigorating the strategy for the Global Business Centre to better serve the community and generate revenue opportunities for the organization.
- Evolve and sustain the Action Calgary private sector program – with an extensive stakeholder review currently underway, this leader and the manager of Corporate Community Engagement will focus on improving the value proposition, enhancing partner engagement and creating stronger ROI.
As a senior leader in the organization the Vice President, Trade & Investment Attraction will also play a key role in the following:
- Team development and succession planning
- Supporting a strong organization culture
- Stakeholder engagement and government relations
- Board relations and reporting
- Public speaking and media relations
- Strategic input into the 10-year economic strategy for Calgary and the 4-year organizational strategy and budget planning
- Development, management and monthly reporting of annual budgets and business plans
- Developing and reporting on annual balanced score card and red/yellow/green reports
- Creation/management of sector specific strategies
- Management of sector advisory committees
- Developing strategies to maximize opportunities of events & inbound missions including the Globe Investment Forum, Stampede Investment Forum and Global Petroleum Show
The following experience and skills are desired for the role:
- Bachelor’s degree in Economics, Commerce, Business or International Relations. Master’s degree is an asset but not a requirement;
- Minimum fifteen to twenty years of progressively responsible experience in a directly related area during which both professional and management capability have been clearly demonstrated;
- Experience must include international relations, investment, real estate development, and financial strategies; interaction between business and differing cultures; and management as well as a thorough, practical understanding of the application of sound business practices;
- Demonstrated knowledge and network of local, national and international business communities;
- Sound understanding of fundamental economics and its theoretical application in the current local, national and international business environment;
- Deep and keen understanding of the local, national, and global economic and political landscape and global current affairs;
- Demonstrated strategic sales and business development success;
- Understanding of sales processes and tools including CRM enabled implementation, monitoring and reporting;
- Ability to work with governments as a key partner. Can work within bureaucratic systems but has an entrepreneurial approach; and
- Proven ability to lead, develop and engage high performing teams.
- Highly intelligent, strategic and seasoned business leader;
- Bold and visionary; a self-starter who is persuasive, intuitive, and exercises professional judgement, maturity, integrity and diplomacy;
- Strong business acumen and proven ability to prioritize, identify key issues and bring solutions to the table;
- Innovator who inspires people and contributes to organizational success;
- Passionate and proud Calgarian and proven community builder;
- Energetic and creative;
- Politically astute and can manage changing political environments;
- Results driven and accountable;
- Critical thinker with an ability to thrive in fast pace and changing environment;
- Proven collaborator, relationship builder and communicator; and
- Ability to travel extensively.
Susie Besler Adam Pekarsky
Principal Founding Partner
Direct Line: 403.263.4474 ext 229 Direct Line: 403.263.4474 ext 222
Mobile: 403.399.4677 Mobile: 403.612.3016
Please click here to apply.