Research Analyst (Location: Kingston or Toronto)
Founded in 2007, MDB Insight celebrates helping communities ranging from 100 to 4 million thrive in the 21st century economy and society. Be part of our multidisciplinary team that brings together expertise and on-the-ground experience to create customized, evidence-based research and solutions to local, regional, and national economies. Join our team and be committed to improving the world around us, one community at a time!
For full details of the firm visit our website at www.mdbinsight.com
The Research Analyst (RA) is a key contributor to project work sourcing, synthesizing and conducting progressive levels of analysis and research. RA’s contribute well-organized, concise research that informs the final client product. This requires a talent for analytical thinking, creativity, ability to translate thoughts into concise and clear writing, and research skills to help inform and ground our project work in evidence and insight.
The successful candidate will bring strong judgement, problem-solving skills, and a business understanding to ensure high quality, relevant, and insightful report content. Demonstrated project management, research and analysis capabilities, as well as, strong written and oral communication skills are essential. You must demonstrate good time management; the ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously and be a self-starter motivated to take initiative.
Research Analysts have a defined pathway to move from entry to advanced performance and opportunity, commensurate with increasing remuneration within the defined salary band. Each level of advancement requires an increased expectation related to performance, communication, leadership and project-related skills. At the senior level, the following are required: an advanced level of analysis, critical thinking, and research that leads to the comprehensive identification of themes, priorities, and actions that are grounded in evidence and are clearly communicated.
Professionally, your understanding of private, public and voluntary sectors and functions will develop on an ongoing basis, supporting progressive levels of responsibility and opportunity within our firm.
Essential duties and responsibilities of a Research Analyst include:
- Gathering and manipulating data from multiple sources using MS Excel, SPSS, and other relevant platforms
- Conducting original research in a wide range of fields related to economic development, workforce development and cultural development and present basic analysis of findings that add value to the project
- Generating report content including the development of appendix material, background research narrative, and statistical discussions
- Reading publications and attending seminars on economic development related issues to aid in research
- Contributing to proposal writing, including research necessary for the proposal and preparation of proposal documents
- Supporting tasks associated with community engagement methodologies and, where applicable, contribute to stakeholder facilitation
- Conducting direct telephone outreach as part of community and stakeholder engagement
- Demonstrating proficiency in MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint
As the ideal candidate, you have a combination of the following:
- 2-3 years work experience with a demonstrated record of achievement and impact; experience in a municipality/government/consulting/workforce planning setting is an asset; knowledge of the various available data sources (Stats Canada, Canadian Business Counts, LMI, etc. is also an asset
- An undergraduate degree in a related area
Remuneration will be determined based on skills, knowledge, and experience. Employees are eligible to participate in the corporate benefits program after a six- month review. Eligibility to participate in professional development, and profit sharing programs is offered after 12 months.
The application deadline for this position: July 31, 2018 at 5 pm.
Interested candidates are asked to submit a detailed résumé and cover letter outlining their interest in the position to: Ms. Pat Villebrun, MDB Insight Inc., firstname.lastname@example.org.