The Manager of Small Business, Entrepreneurship & Innovation will work to achieve strategic outcomes as identified in the Council approved Mississauga’s Entrepreneurship and Innovation Study and Economic Development Strategy 2020-2025. The Manager, Small Business, Entrepreneurship and Innovation will be accountable for overseeing the entire Entrepreneurship and Innovation ecosystem, including the startup entrepreneur and scaling high growth small business. The successful candidate will have a strategic and operational mandate to ensure that the key ecosystem assets are performing well to drive increased rates of entrepreneurship and small business growth. The Manager would oversee the Small Business Enterprise Centre services and the proposed Innovation Hub/ Scale up Services.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Lead team to implement third party agreements (Small Business Enterprise Centre Program etc.) with a focus on improving service delivery through more online resources and partnerships with the Mississauga Library System and other internal partners as well as external organizations to create more points of access of services to entrepreneurs and small businesses.
- Lead the team with high integrity and ability to inspire and engage.
- Advance the growth of the start-up entrepreneur and scaling high growth small business community by leading the coordination of assets and resources; programs and services in a complex multi-stakeholder environment.
- Build relationships with key innovation incubators (e.g. iCUBE; EDGE and RICs)
- Coordinate city innovation facilities/activities and work with providers to shape start-up and scale-up programming
- Lead team in development of tools/aids to improve navigation for users (i.e. helping users connect the dots – for example, creating a Start-up/Scale up Here website).
- Ensure small business clients with scale up potential are streamed to receive specialized services/assistance they need to grow/stay in the City.
- Develop and implement of comprehensive small business, entrepreneurship strategies, operational plans and programs and budget.
- Plan, manage and administer the small business and innovation sections of the EDO annual budget and expenditures.
- Provide direction, input, advice and be accountable for the annual budget submission and City Business Plan, deliver program within budget, adhering to City policy and process while allocating sufficient resources to satisfy employee and customer expectations.
- Build and cultivate strategic partnerships with internal and external partners from industry, public, private, not-for-profit sectors and institutions to develop new, bold and a shared vision for, innovation and entrepreneurship.
- Identify opportunities, develop and implement plans to enhance strong collaboration and partnership between the Economic Development office, and other City divisions’ agencies, boards and external organizations to contribute to the growth and development of Mississauga’s economy and entrepreneurship & innovation ecosystem.
- Develop team capability and manage team initiatives by providing day to day management to effectively optimize engagement, performance and long-term development plans.
- Represent and promote the City/EDO at internal and external committees, boards and meetings and gives presentations to high level corporate executives and senior government officials
- Prepare Corporate Reports; presentations and other key documents to advance strategic initiatives.
- Performs other duties as assigned
Skills and Qualifications
- Post-secondary education in a discipline pertinent to the job function (e.g. Business, Technology, Sciences) combined with relevant technical training experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Minimum 3 years leadership experience is required
- 7+ years of experience in business development with entrepreneurs and small business and delivering or supporting innovation among businesses.
- Track record of either successfully starting-up a growth-oriented business or supporting/mentoring small businesses to evolve into a scale up.
- Experience of negotiating significant investments, particularly in new facilities.
- Effective decision-maker with strategic and lateral thinking skills
- Ability to work collaboratively with investors, entrepreneurs, community groups, public agencies, elected representatives and senior executives.
- A solid understanding of applied research, technology, innovation and entrepreneurship issues in both the private and public sectors.
- Proven strategic planning and operational leadership skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and relationship management skills.
- Well networked among thought leaders, key national and international peer organizations
- Strong business, financial and political acumen
- Proven project leadership experience, leading complex projects from inception to completion
- Proficient with Microsoft Office
- Must be able to participate in business related events outside of core business hours, locally and occasional travel.
Hourly Rate/Salary: $ 99,139.00 – $ 132,180.00
Hours of Work: 35
Work Location: Mississauga Central Library
Organization Unit: CMO/Small Business & Workforce Develop
Department/Division/Section: CMO/City Manager’s Office, CMO/Economic Dev Office, Small Business, Entrepreneurship & Innovation
Non-Union/Union: Non Union
Applicants applying to this posting may be considered for the same position(s) should another vacancy occur within six months from the date of this posting, unless the requirement to repost is expressed differently in a Collective Agreement.
If you are selected for an interview and your proposed transfer or promotion results in a real or perceived conflict of interest in relation to the Employment of Relatives Corporate Policy and Procedure, you must notify the Human Resources Representative as soon as possible.
If you are selected for an interview you are expected to disclose all current positions held in the City, whether full time or part time.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 and the Ontario Human Rights Code, the City of Mississauga will provide accommodations throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process to applicants with disabilities. If selected to participate in the recruitment selection and/or assessment process, please inform Human Resources of the nature of any accommodation(s) that you may require in respect of any materials or processes used to ensure your equal participation.