If you’re an experienced investment and sector development expert with knowledge of business/economic development and honed leadership skills, focus your strengths and abilities to excel in this unique role with the City of Hamilton – the most dynamic growth area in the GTHA.
Reporting to the Director of Economic Development, you’ll direct and manage the provision of services and functions related to investment and sector development including business retention and attraction programs, foreign direct investment initiatives, marketing promotion and research, and oversight of the Hamilton Immigration Partnership Council.
As Manager of Business Investment and Sector Development, you’ll offer advice and consultation on business/economic development programs and initiatives by managing a variety of projects to boost business in Hamilton, and participate in the strategic project and policy planning directions and activities of the Division as part of the management team. Leading a team of multi-functional staff, you’ll also ensure compliance with a variety of economic development-related statutes, regulations and guidelines, create reports for Council and its Committees and other departments and agencies, and manage external/internal consultation programs for various short/long-term development-related projects.
The following profile makes you uniquely qualified for the role of Manager of Business Investment and Sector Development:
- Proven knowledge in Business/Economic Development and Marketing normally acquired through the completion of a university degree in Business Administration, Economic Geography, Urban and Regional Planning, or other related discipline or an equivalent combination of education and relevant experience.
- Economic Development Professional Certification (Ec.D. designation) preferred.
- Superior understanding of business development best practices, impending issues, marketing best practices and the latest technological applications for delivery of economic development programs.
- Highly effective leadership, facilitation, communication, interpersonal and organizational skills with the ability to lead and inspire others.
- Demonstrated experience in effectively managing a multi-disciplinary staff in a results-oriented environment.
- Thorough knowledge and understanding of federal, provincial and municipal statutes and regulations such as the Municipal Act and Planning Act, and the appropriate administrative decision-making procedures and processes as it relates to business development.
- Extensive experience in a related business/economic development role with experience in a management position involving both financial management and project management experience.
- Knowledge of human resource management-related procedures, collective agreements and health and safety.
- Excellent interpersonal skills including team-building and written/verbal communications skills with the ability to converse effectively with varying levels of staff including councillors, senior business representatives, representatives of other levels of government, senior management, peers, staff and the public.
- Excellent presentation, public relations, negotiation and mediation skills.
- Excellent critical-thinking, evaluation and analytical skills, and the ability for long-term visioning and strategic thinking.
- Ability to work independently and in a team setting, and the ability to lead, train and mentor professional and technical team members.
- Excellent organizational, time-management and multi-tasking skills.
Note: This position currently requires the incumbent to use their personal vehicle(s) 3 or more times per week for City business. In accordance with the City policy, parking is provided at this time. Should this job requirement change, parking will only be provided in accordance with the City policy in force at that time.
This permanent, full-time position offers a salary range of $108,426 – $129,462 per annum (based on a 35-hour work week schedule).
About the City of Hamilton
Contribute to the City of Hamilton, one of Canada’s largest cities – home to a diverse and strong economy, an active and inclusive community, a robust cultural and dining scene, hundreds of kilometres of hiking trails and natural beauty just minutes from the downtown core, and so much more. Join our diverse team of talented and ambitious staff who embody our values of sensational service, courageous change, steadfast integrity, collective ownership and being engaged, empowered employees. Help us #BeTheReason the entire country is talking about Hamilton, and achieve our vision of being the best place to raise a child and age successfully.
For full details and to apply
If you are interested in working alongside a dedicated team that’s contributing to the well-being of Hamilton’s residents, please visit www.hamilton.ca/careers for details on this position as Manager of Business Investment and Sector Development, JOB ID #16650, and to apply online, by Wednesday, October 28, 2020.
The City is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes. If contacted for an employment opportunity, please advise Human Resources if you require accommodation.
The City of Hamilton values the diversity of our workforce and the knowledge of our people. We thank all who have applied; however, only those under consideration will be contacted.