Position: Manager, Experience Development
Department: Industry Development
Travel Alberta is the destination promotion organization of Alberta. A team of spirited adventurers, we showcase Alberta’s authentic experiences in breathtaking landscapes around the world, with the goal to drive visitation to the province and increase the economic benefit of tourism. Travel Alberta also provides marketing expertise and destination development support to Alberta-based tourism businesses.
As an employer, we empower individual passion and build inspirational leadership as one team. If you want to be part of an award-winning organization with strong corporate values, passionate team members and a great culture, Travel Alberta is the destination for you.
Since becoming a Crown corporation in 2009, Travel Alberta has been recognized with more than 50 awards for corporate culture and brand and marketing excellence.
The Manager, Experience Development fosters alignment with industry stakeholders and Travel Alberta’s strategic direction. The position supports the marketing of Alberta as a tourism destination by working in collaboration with Alberta stakeholders, helping them to be more competitive, grow their marketing capacity, and elevate the visitor experience. This includes enhancing existing experiences and growing the number of export-ready experiences available to international markets. This role is an integral part of the tourism distribution system to grow supply of relevant, competitive and sustainable tourism experiences and delivers on Travel Alberta’s strategic objectives by helping to strengthen Alberta’s competitive position and support growth in visitation and revenues for the province.
This position reports directly to the Director, Experience Development and works closely with the Cooperative Marketing and Business Development teams in delivering on Travel Alberta’s strategic priorities and market needs.
What you need
Your dedication and passion have taken your career to this point, and now it is time to advance to a new level by stepping into Travel Alberta’s exciting working environment. Here are the qualifications required to be successful in this role:
• Bachelor’s degree or certificate in business or related field with a focus in marketing
• A minimum of five years in a tourism marketing/development role
• Experience in international tourism marketing. Experience working at a provincial marketing organization or tour company an asset.
• Experience working in business development and fostering relations with travel trade and MICE. Prior work with receptive tour operators (RTOs) and destination marketing companies an asset.
• Knowledge of tourism channels and RTOs
• Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously
• Strong skills in strategic planning, relationship building, conflict management and public speaking
• Ability to understand cultural nuances and differences in business practices
This position is based in Edmonton, Alberta
Employment status: Full-time permanent
Willingness to work outside normal hours of work, including evenings and weekends
The successful candidate will manage experience development in northern Alberta and requires frequent travel.
This position offers an excellent benefits package with Sun Life Financial, including extended health and dental coverage, life insurance, travel insurance, long-term disability and a flexible spending account. This individual will also participate in a defined benefit plan with the Management Employees Pension Plan (MEPP), have free and confidential access to Sun Life’s RightDirections Employee Assistance Program (EAP) and be a part of Travel Alberta’s learning and development program to support career development.
What you’ll do
• Build strong alliances with key stakeholders and organizations to increase collaboration and nurture alignment with Travel Alberta’s strategic direction.
• Asses the needs, priorities, challenges and opportunities within the region and develop and implement plans to influence action.
• Provide regional input to ensure industry stakeholders and Travel Alberta have an in-region voice.
• Contribute to the strategic planning of the Experience Development Business Unit by offering creative ideas and solutions for growing Alberta’s tourism industry.
• Articulate the vision of Travel Alberta to grow revenue and visitation to Alberta in need areas of the province and during need periods of time.
• Coach and advise key stakeholders in the development of relevant market and export ready experiences in alignment with Travel Alberta’s strategic priorities and objectives.
• Work in collaboration with Alberta Culture and Tourism and stakeholders on ministry development projects, tourism opportunity assessments, and community development opportunities.
Experience Development (Market and Export Readiness)
• Support the maintenance of an experience inventory of all market ready and export ready experiences in the province for all seasons.
• Collaborate with the Manager, RTO Development to ensure experience development meets the needs of the international RTO’s.
• Support the development and implementation of a winter growth strategy to amplify Travel Alberta’s ability to market Alberta as a key winter destination.
• Support the creation of itineraries to ensure export-ready experiences are positioned appropriately for the market.
• Support Business Development Trips when necessary.
• Deliver consulting services, providing valuable advice to tourism industry stakeholders based on current trends, insights, opportunities and best practices.
• Provide information and advice on accessing funding to support development and marketing activities.
• Assess the needs of industry stakeholders and link industry to applicable information and resources.
Industry Training and Education
• Identify industry learning needs and recommend skill development/education opportunities for industry stakeholders.
• Evaluate the effectiveness of the programs and recommend improvements.
Deliver presentations and support the execution of signature training programs.
Team and Stakeholder Engagement
• Ensure all stakeholders are well versed in Travel Alberta’s marketing platforms (i.e. ATIS) and educational programs.
• Work with Business Development Team and In-Market Representatives to establish core knowledge and understanding of new export ready experiences so they can promote and sell these new experiences to in market operators and agents.
• Communicate all new and enhanced market and export ready experiences to the Travel Alberta Team for inclusion in content and asset development, consumer marketing, media and social channels.
• Provide Travel Alberta updates relating to regional/domestic/international markets and development opportunities at product development committees, DMO and regional and municipal government meetings.
• Support partnerships between stakeholders, regional or municipal governments, the GOA and other tourism bodies to support experience development in Alberta.
• Collaborate with Alberta Culture and Tourism to drive strategic alignment between visitor ready, market ready and export ready initiatives.
Reporting / Performance
• Set projected targets on number of market and export ready experiences developed.
• Record all pertinent information in CRM and create reports to track experience growth in visitation and revenues.
• Contribute updates and insights to internal reporting and external reports to stakeholders and shareholders including briefing notes and presentations.
Closing date: November 15, 2018
If you have the qualifications to succeed in this role, submit a cover letter and resume, with the title in the subject line of your email to email@example.com.
We wish to express our appreciation to all applicants for their interest and advise that only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. Any personal information submitted will be managed with the strictest of confidentiality.