ABOUT COMMUNITY FUTURES WOOD BUFFALO
The purpose of the Community Futures Program is to help communities develop and implement local solutions to challenges and opportunities. Funding provided by Western Economic Diversification (WD) is to further the ultimate objective of assisting communities within the Regional Municipality of Wood Buffalo to successfully pursue:
- Economic stability, growth and job creation;
- Diversified and competitive local rural economies;
- Economically sustainable communities.
Financial support provided by WD to CFWB is for:
- Providing business services by delivering a wide range of business counselling and information services to SMEs and Social Enterprises;
- Providing access to capital to assist existing SMEs and Social Enterprises or to help entrepreneurs to create new SMEs or Social Enterprises;
- Foster strategic community planning and socio-economic development by working with CFWB’s communities; and
- Supporting community-based projects and special initiatives by collaborating with other partners to implementing strategic community projects or deliver special initiatives targeted to communities. Initiatives may vary and could include support with entrepreneurism, economic activities for specific client groups such as women, youth, Indigenous businesses.
CF Wood Buffalo’s Current Vision, Mission
Vision: CFWB is a collaborative leader driving stronger communities.
Mission/Purpose: Strengthening the economy of the Wood Buffalo Region.
Reporting to the Board of Directors, the General Manager is the operational leader of Community Futures Wood Buffalo (CFWB). The General Manager responsible for achieving its Mission to strengthen the economy of the Wood Buffalo Region through loans, training and projects.
This position will effectively manage three direct reports and encourage economic development initiatives with the small business community of Wood Buffalo Region.
First Year Priorities and Outcomes
The General Manager will play an instrumental role in building and growing the partnerships of stakeholders, including the ability to work effectively with the board, staff, multi levels of government, Community Futures network, community non-profit organizations, commercial banks, auditors and clients. This position will require strong financial acumen, and the ability to engage and leverage monies that are outside of WD loan portfolio.
The General Manager will continue to build and maintain the loan portfolio and relationships with clients. The GM will have demonstrated ability to develop and execute plans (strategic, financial, operational). In addition, secure additional funding or partnerships that are synergistic with the CFWB mandate. The GM will have a solid understanding of Community Futures, meet and exceed the WD reporting requirements and minimize loan loss.
Key roles & responsibilities
Strategy & Relationship Building
- Develop, implement, track, evaluate and calibrate business strategies and plans for achieving the vision, mission and goals within the policies set by CFWB’s Board of Directors;
- Effectively manage the investment funds (loan funds) and maintain or improve CFWB’s investment funds cash position;
- Provide regular financial and operational updates to CFWB’s Board of Directors;
- Cultivate and maintain strong relationships in the region’s communities by attending events and becoming involved in the community;
- Assess internal operations on an ongoing basis, articulating short and long-term needs, trends, problems, and opportunities and advise the Board on strategies to promote ongoing organizational health and success;
- Facilitate information sharing and exchange amongst key regional stakeholders, the Board and staff to establish common understanding and commitment to goals and objectives;
- Be a role model representing CFWB’s entrepreneurial and professional culture and values; and
- Build strong relationships and work synergistically with the Board of Directors; has a servant leadership style.
Product/Program Development & Management
- Initiate and develop products, programs and/or policies including loan and small business support products, programs and/or policies to respond to and meet key stakeholders’ needs and organizational development objectives;
- Scan, evaluate and recommend opportunities that align with CFWB’s vision, mission and values;
- Provide cost/benefit analysis and economic evaluations on proposed products, programs and services;
- Ensure all products or services including lending, small business training and coaching services are delivered to quality expectation of the CFWB board and its key stakeholders; and
- Lead the marketing, promotions and sales initiatives for all CFWB products and programs.
- Oversee internal operations, financial, and human resources and ensuring expected standards are met and effective cost management of resources and providing analysis of alternatives for corrective action;
- Analyze and evaluate service and performance, and make changes consistent with organizational objectives and standards;
- Prepare forecasts and budgets ensuring revenue targets are met and expenses are controlled;
- Lead, manage, develop and motivate the CFWB staff and/or contractors;
- Manage community outreach and marketing and promotions of services;
- Cultivate and maintain strong relationships with all stakeholders including the CFWB Board, the community, staff, agencies, and other professionals;
- Respond to stakeholders’ suggestions, comments and complaints;
- Represent and promote CFWB at appropriate events and associations;
- Develop and implement operational procedures, policies and standards for review and approval by the CFWB Board; and
- Build capacity and education of the CFWB Board.
The ideal candidate will have the following:
- A university degree in business or relevant field;
- Extensive management experience within a non-profit environment;
- Considerable” small business development” and commercial lending experience is required;
- Directly related Economic Development experience;
- Proven experience in the delivery of small business training, coaching and mentorship services;
- Extensive successful history planning, developing, implementing and evaluating programs;
- Proven track record managing Profit and Loss; Cash Flow in business operations/ product/service needs in the market place;
- Strong customer service skills including a sense of urgency and commitment to cooperation;
- Effective conflict management skills;
- Has an entrepreneurial mindset (previous experience operating a business is considered an asset);
- Strong local & regional business contacts are assets;
- Knowledge of Community Futures, policies, regulations, and reporting and accounting requirements are assets;
- Experience with governance and working with and reporting to a Board of Directors.
- Proficient computer skills including in Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint; and
- Valid driver’s licence; access to a vehicle while at work.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Leadership Skills: Strategic, collaborative, progressive, aspirational and visionary. Strong ability to lead and manage a team including hiring, assigning and reviewing work, coaching and mentoring, and developing employees. Ability to represent the organization in a positive manner. A “servant leader.”
- Strategic Thinking: Taking a broad scale, long-term view, assessing options and implications of decision made by CFWB. Strong analytical and problem-solving skills;
- Stakeholder and Relationship Building: Developing and grow positive and productive relationships and partnerships with organizations and individuals both internal and external to CFWB. Has a proven ability to manage sensitive issues effectively in a political environment, including the ability to work effectively with internal and external stakeholders. Values diversity and can work co-operatively with people from many backgrounds, interests, and attitudes.
- Financial and Risk Management: Effectively managing internal and external resources to achieve organizational goals. Ability to proactively identify, manage and mitigate financial and operational risks and issues.
- Interpersonal & Communication Skills: Superior communicator with the ability to establish relationships; communicates appropriately with diverse audiences and stakeholder groups; excellent written and verbal communications skills; strong presentations skills, ability to deliver seminars and training. Ability to clearly and succinctly convey messages and information to meet the needs of all audiences.
- Results Orientation: Highly motivated; plans for results. Planning, time management and organization experience, especially as it pertains to project management. Takes accountability. Focuses on outcomes.
- Adaptability: Ability to adjust to changing environment and adapts project management, schedules, and priorities accordingly.
- Organizational Awareness: Understanding of governance, contact, legislation, structure and culture of the organization; commitment to Community Futures’ philosophy, values and goals.
- Teamwork: Collaborative in a way that builds bridges and brings people together to accomplish goals; a record of working cooperatively and productively with others to achieve results and success.
- Problem Solving and Judgment: Ability to assess options and implications to identify problems and solutions. Ability to make decisions and provide direction on complex and emerging issues that may have substantial political, community, inter-municipal or administrative implications. Proven decision-making skills while under pressure of tight deadlines, competing priorities and viewpoints.
- Capacity Awareness: Ability to assess whether resources and/or capacity are available to complete operational duties and, if lacking, the ability and initiative to acquire the additional resources needed to complete operational duties. Excellent organizational skills including the abilities to manage time, prioritize multiple competing priorities.
- Political Acumen: demonstrates a deep understanding of how to influence and build relationships in complex environments. Ability to navigate, build relationships with business community and all levels of government.
A competitive compensation package will be provided including an attractive base salary and excellent benefits. Further details will be discussed in a personal interview.
FOR INFORMATION: PLEASE CONTACT
Anurag Shourie or Samantha Chiu
Leaders International Executive Search
Suite 501 Fox One
10226 – 104 Street
Edmonton, AB T5J 1B8