POSTING No. 201938
Come join our team! We are looking for a candidate that shares our corporate values of Honesty, Excellence, Team, Fun, Creativity and Respect. These values are second nature for the successful candidate and are demonstrated in their work and interactions with colleagues and the community.
You are an economic development professional who has comprehensive knowledge of leading economic development, entrepreneurial and investment practices and trends; are an innovative thinker with experience leading transformational change; have superior communication skills; and a client-focused and solutions-oriented mindset.
Reporting to the Director of Economic Development, Innovation and Culture, you will be responsible for leading the development and delivery of a comprehensive business concierge, investment attraction and business development program. The program’s main goal will be to identify, track, coordinate and expedite the realization of key investment opportunities.
Working in collaboration with internal and external partners, the Expeditor and Business Development Officer raises the profile of Halton Hills as a prime destination for business growth and investment.
- Act as the primary liaison and dedicated ‘business facilitator’ or ‘project lead’ between the business community, potential investors and the municipality to provide an advisory role for complex and high-profile projects, assist with early issue identification, provide strategic advice and develop solutions
- Assist investors and entrepreneurs in navigating municipal and external agency processes, from initial business idea and/or investment consideration to ‘doors open’, to subsequent expansion plans and aftercare
- Lead the development and implementation of a comprehensive Business Concierge program, including stakeholder engagement, Escalation Protocol, ‘Business Facilitation Office’, KPIs, and communication and marketing strategies to ensure the effective mobilization of resources to deliver rapid and coordinated issue resolution
- Make recommendations to the Town’s existing development review processes in order to put in place optimized, seamless, customized and automated processes
- Make recommendations to further cut red tape and unnecessary burdens on business
- Lead the Town’s ‘Strategic Economic Development Expeditor Team’ to ensure a rapid response to business development
- Develop and deliver a staff training program to support the implementation of business concierge, including enhanced customer service protocols
- Participate in key studies and strategies related to economic development
- Advocate for the Town at key business and investor events to promote Halton Hills as a prime location for investment and economic growth
- Meet with and assist major economic prospects, senior executives and investors to attract investment and business activity
- Meet with provincial, federal and international government officials to maximize economic development opportunities
- Continually monitor development applications to identify and track the status of priority files, and provide regular updates to key stakeholders
- Organize and deliver an annual ‘Open for Business Forum’ to obtain regular business feedback on any regulatory burdens, successes, best practices and opportunities to achieve efficiencies
- Contribute to the project of digitizing Building Services and Planning processes with a focus on identifying opportunities to streamline existing policies/procedures and technologies with the goal of improving the end-customer experience
- Collaborate with subject-matter experts across Town departments and external agencies
- Utilize research, market data and real estate software to assist with site selection inquiries
- Prepare reports and presentations for Council, and internal and external stakeholders
- Ten years of experience in economic development, business development, investment attraction, land use planning, development, or related field, preferably with a mix of municipal government and private sector experience
- University degree in economic development, business, commerce, land-use planning, marketing, public administration or a related field
- Certificate in Economic Development and/or professional accreditation from the Economic Developers Association of Canada (Ec.D)
- Membership with the Economic Developers Council of Ontario (EDCO) and/or Economic Developers Association of Canada (EDAC) and/or the Canadian Institute of Planners and Ontario Professional Planners Institute (MCIP, RPP professional designation)
- Demonstrated ability to apply project management principles, LEAN management, Six Sigma and similar techniques is considered an asset
- Ability to apply a client-focused, solutions-oriented and ‘open for business’ approach to identify and recommend actionable solutions to business development
- Business and political acumen
- Skilled in relationship building and management
- Thorough understanding of business needs and challenges
- Working knowledge of the municipal development review process
- Superior research, analytical, database development and project management skills
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and without supervision, as well as within a team
- Ability to complete complex assignments with minimal supervision
- Strong dispute resolution and negotiation skills
- Excellent computer skills, including Microsoft Office, contact management and social media
The hourly rate for this contract position (35 hours per week) is $48.78 – $58.07 per hour.
Qualified candidates may submit a detailed cover letter and resume in confidence to the Town by 4:30 p.m., September 4, 2019. Please quote Posting No. 201938 on your cover letter. Please apply using only one method of application below.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org (preferred)
Attn: Human Resources
Town of Halton Hills
1 Halton Hills Drive
Halton Hills, ON L7G 5G2
Posting No. 201938
We thank all those who apply, but advise that only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted. The Town of Halton Hills is an equal opportunity employer. Accommodations are available for all parts of the recruitment process. If contacted for an interview, please advise the Human Resources staff of any measures you feel you need to enable you to be assessed in a fair and equitable manner. Information received relating to accommodation measures will be addressed confidentially.
Personal information is collected under the authority of the Municipal Act, 2001 (S.O. 2001, c.25) and will be used to select a candidate. Questions about this collection should be directed to the Manager of Human Resources.