The City of Airdrie fosters a culture of accountability and values open dialogue, innovation and entrepreneurial spirit, collaborative relationships, learning, ownership, and encouraging the heart. We are searching for another team member who will help us get to the next level.
Airdrie Economic Development, a department of the City of Airdrie, takes a strategic approach to attract investment and supporting local businesses to foster a positive business environment and a sustainable economy. Our vision is for Airdrie to be the place of choice for businesses and talent in Western Canada.
The City of Airdrie is seeking a qualified and dedicated professional to promote Airdrie and engage proactively to attract new businesses. Reporting to the Community Growth Manager, the Team Leader of Economic Development is a dynamic and inspiring individual who will have the opportunity to chart the path for the next stage of economic development in Airdrie.
The Economic Development Team Leader is responsible for the following:
- Ensure the planning, developing and implementation of strategies and programs in the areas of investment attraction, business retention and expansion, workforce, entrepreneurship, marketing and tourism services are completed each year
- Actively lead the completion of projects required to implement the 10-Year Economic Strategy, as directed by the Manager of Community Growth
- Provide a work environment that enables coaching and encourages participation, learning, collaboration, communication, creativity, caring accountability, safety and fun
- Ensure strong relations with community partners and City departments to implement programs and initiatives related to Council priorities and/or Corporate strategies (e.g.: 10-Year Economic Strategy)
- Develop strong relationships with organizations and agencies locally, regionally, provincially and nationally
- Represent the department at local, regional and provincial and national meetings and events
- Lead the implementation of the department’s annual business plan to meet both Councils and Corporate strategic direction
- Assign work to economic development and tourism staff and ensure appropriate direction, training and mentoring is provided
- Translate the organizational culture and vision through communication and influence
- Keep current on municipal zoning, permitting, and real estate market
- Stay current on industry and business trends and economic development best practices
- Trouble shoot and support any large files or key contacts in the community if necessary
- Deliver presentations to Council, Senior Leadership, and key stakeholders both internally and externally
- Participate in preparing the staffing, operating and capital budgets
- Ensure corporate and departmental fiscal responsibility
- Ensure all statistical reports and documentation are complete and current each year
Our learning and development culture underpins what we do and allows our staff to challenge themselves professionally in a results-oriented environment. We offer significant in-house foundational training for all staff and additional external learning opportunities. We attract individuals who seek challenges and want to grow in their career and can currently bring the following experience/skills to this position.
- Post-secondary education in Economic Development, Business Management, Communications, Marketing or related discipline
- 7+ years in an Economic Development management role with Municipal Government or equivalent experience
- Minimum 5 years of leadership experience
- Broad knowledge of current economic development trends, investment attraction and planning issues in the Calgary region/Province, and the ability to obtain knowledge of related provincial and federal government legislation, programs and services
- Experience managing large departmental budgets
- Ability to confidently work with and inspire a multi-disciplinary team of highly skilled professionals
- Exceptional communication and presentation skills, including the ability to gain the attention and involvement of challenging audiences
- Ability to build and maintain strong relationships with external partners, internal departments, key business partners and clients
- Ability to see the big picture and maintain a progressive environment
- Ability to remain innovative and positive in times of imposed constraints and economic challenges
- Demonstrated ability to handle a variety of complex projects/tasks with competing priorities in a results based environment
- Strong negotiation skills and ability to be an influencer
- Display a high degree of professionalism at all times
- Outstanding dependability, initiative, creativity and decision-making skills
- High level of confidence, confidentiality, tact and diplomacy
Along with a competitive compensation program and City paid health and dental premiums, our employees also enjoy:
- Excellent health, dental, paramedical, and benefits plan
- First-in-class pension plan
- Career development and tuition reimbursement
- Employee discounts, annual adult Genesis Place pass, social events, and health & wellness initiatives
Continuous learning through training and development is encouraged as are flexible work arrangements, when possible. We recognize that our people work best when they feel engaged in their environment and appreciated for their efforts and our overall benefits package reflects that.
This is a full time position (37.5 hours per week) and includes a comprehensive benefits and pension package. Occasional evenings and weekends are required.
Please provide a cover letter as a means of introducing yourself and your interest in this role.
Candidates are invited to apply online at www.airdrie.ca.