Economic Development Officer – 1 Regular Full-Time Position
Executive Services Department
The Town of Milton’s Executive Services Department is seeking a driven and enthusiastic individual with a passion for connecting people to fill the role of Economic Development Officer. Reporting to the Director, Strategic Initiatives and Economic Development, this full-time position plays a lead role in developing and executing Milton’s Economic Development Strategy and Action Plan, in line with the corporate strategic plan. In addition, the Economic Development Officer plays a key role in corporate strategic initiatives including working with Milton Education Village stakeholders and promoting Milton’s growing knowledge based economy. The successful incumbent must be able to work variable hours including evenings and weekends.
Major Job Responsibilities
Economic Development Strategy and Action Plan
- Develops, leads and manages Milton’s Economic Development Strategy and the Action Plan with a focus on investment attraction, retention and expansion initiatives
- Prepares Council reports, presentations and briefing materials for the Chief Administration Officer and Director, Strategic Initiatives & Economic Development which includes the Economic Development Annual Report
- Develops marketing, communications and promotional materials for attracting investment with a focus on the knowledge based economy
- Collaborates with the Manager, MEV Innovation Centre and Economic Development Staff, supporting small and medium enterprises, sector development and knowledge-based initiatives
- Participates in the development and administration of Economic Development’s capital and operational budget and attends quarterly variance meetings
- Forecasts non-residential development to determine anticipated non-residential revenues for the corporate budget
- Builds and fosters relationships with the ICI real estate community, site selectors, contractors, consultants, business leaders, investors, consultants, government representatives, institutions and other community organizations
- Fosters relationships and consults with a variety of stakeholders on matters pertaining to investment attractions, programs, research, and other various economic development activities
- Leads and represents Milton Economic Development on various committees
- Provides direction to investors, developers, contractors and businesses navigating planning and building processes and resolving issues
Research and Analysis
- Undertakes research, collection, interpretation, and analysis of economic, demographic and development indicators to support economic development initiatives and determine value propositions and competitive analysis
- Monitors key economic indicators and maintains up-to-date investment profile for the Town of Milton
- Manages all website content including property listings, statistics, data, and resources
- Identifies and monitors local investment and business leasing and sales activity
Education and Experience
- Degree in Urban/Economic Geography, Business, Public Administration, Economics, Environmental Studies or Planning
- Certified Economic Developer (Ec.D)
- 5 years of experience in Economic Development or a related field
- Previous experience developing and implementing economic development strategies and action plans
- Knowledge of Municipal Act, Planning Act, and related legislation is an asset
- Excellent communication skills including preparation and delivery of presentations/reports
- Strong project management, research, analytical and problem solving skills
- A valid Ontario Driver’s License with a driving record that demonstrates responsible/safe driving behavior as use of a personal vehicle is required.
Salary Range: $80, 465 – $100,581 (35 hour work week)
Interested applicants should apply online at www.milton.ca under the Careers section by midnight on November 27, 2018.
In accordance with the Freedom of Information and Privacy legislation, applicant information is collected under the authority of the Municipal Act and will be used strictly for candidate selection.