Come join our team! We are looking for a candidate that shares our corporate values of Honesty, Excellence, Team, Fun, Creativity and Respect. These values are second nature for the successful candidate and are demonstrated in their work and interactions with colleagues and the community.
Under the supervision of the Manager of Economic Development, Innovation and Culture, this position is responsible for advancing the Town’s economic prosperity, and assists in the implementation of the division’s work-plan, with a focus on Business Retention and Expansion, Foreign Direct Investment, research and analysis, and communication and marketing. This position contributes to making Halton Hills one of the best places to live, work, play and invest.
- Conducts research and prepares reports and recommendations on divisional business plans, operating and capital budgets, and economic development initiatives
- Maintains regular and ongoing communication with businesses to ensure effective working relationships
- Updates and maintains a comprehensive business directory and community profile, including statistics and key performance indicators
- Assists with the promotion of the Town’s industrial, commercial, cultural and tourism opportunities
- Administers and monitors the Community Improvement Plan and delivers a robust Business Retention and Expansion program
- Collaborates with local business organizations in the development and implementation of projects, policies and strategic initiatives
- Leads the development and delivery of key projects, including the Economic Development Strategy, Foreign Direct Investment Strategy, Community Improvement Plan, Brownfield Development Strategy and Economic Development Outlook reports
- Assists with the implementation of Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) attraction efforts, including the Halton Hills-Wenjiang (China) Sister-City Action Plan
- Identifies, researches and recommends strategic economic development opportunities
- Represents the Town’s Economic Development interests on committees, at Council and at trade shows
- Liaises with regional Economic Development offices, and provincial and federal ministries and agencies to maximize local development opportunities, and maintains awareness of economic development matters and trends that may impact the Town
- Prepares reports and presentations to Council, and internal and external committees and organizations
- Provides economic and business information in response to internal and external inquiries
- Organizes promotional and networking events, and develops communications and marketing material, including a monthly e-newsletter, media releases, brochures, and website and Social Media content
- Researches, identifies and applies for external funding sources
- Performs other duties as required
- A University or College degree in economic development, business, commerce, planning, marketing or a related field
- A minimum of five years’ experience in economic development, preferably in a municipal environment
- Membership with EDCO and/or EDAC and/or the Canadian Institute of Planners and Ontario Professional Planners Institute (MCIP, RPP designation)
- Certificate in Economic Development and/or professional accreditation from the Economic Developers Association of Canada (Ec.D.)
- Comprehensive knowledge of leading economic development practices and trends
- Ability to think strategically and creatively to solve challenges
- Solid computer skills, including Microsoft Office, contact database management and social media
- Excellent communication and presentation skills
- Strong interpersonal skills and effective dispute resolution and negotiation skills
- Project management experience
- Experience in organizing events
- Demonstrated ability to research, analyze and summarize information
- Ability to complete complex projects with minimal supervision and as part of a team
- Database development and maintenance, and marketing and graphic design skills are an asset
- Valid Ontario Class G driver’s license and access to a vehicle for business purposes.
The salary range for this full time position is $66,827 – $79,556 per annum. This position will require some travel and the successful candidate will be required to attend and/or implement evening meetings and events.
Qualified candidates may submit a detailed cover letter and resume in confidence to the Town by 4:30 p.m., July 26, 2017. Please quote Posting No. 201734 on your cover letter. Please apply using only one method of application below.
Attn: Human Resources
Town of Halton Hills
1 Halton Hills Drive
Halton Hills, ON L7G 5G2
Posting No. 201734
Email: email@example.com (preferred)
We thank all those who apply, but advise that only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted. The Town of Halton Hills is an equal opportunity employer. Accommodations are available for all parts of the recruitment process. If contacted for an interview, please advise the Human Resources staff of any measures you feel you need to enable you to be assessed in a fair and equitable manner. Information received relating to accommodation measures will be addressed confidentially.
Personal information is collected under the authority of the Municipal Act, 2001 (S.O. 2001, c.25) and will be used to select a candidate. Questions about this collection should be directed to the Manager of Human Resources.