Economic Development Officer
Job Number: J0818-0071
Position Status: Full Time
Facility: Sarnia-Lambton Economic Partnership
City: Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
Number of Positions: 3
Hours of Work: Monday to Friday, 8:00am to 4:30pm
Wage Rate: $36.84 – $43.86/Hour
Date Posted: August 3, 2018
Closing Date: until filled
The Sarnia-Lambton Economic Partnership is a one-stop shop for economic development services whose mission is to promote the distinctive advantages that Sarnia-Lambton has to offer to companies and residents. By coordinating community-based economic development initiatives and working to maintain a commercially attractive environment, we foster new business creation as well as help ensure that established firms remain and grow here in our region.
The Economic Development Officer’s key role is the promotion, development and growth of one or more targeted community sectors. These targeted community sectors may include, but are not limited to:
- Information Technology
- Professional Services
- Workforce & Entrepreneurship
**Please Note: We are currently offering 3 Economic Development Officer positions. Each will focus on one or more of the targeted community sectors listed above. Applications must include a cover letter and resume. In the cover letter, please highlight your experience as it relates to the sectors and your preferred sector(s) (if any).**
Duties and Responsibilities
- Plan and propose an annual business program specific to assigned sectors.
- Research and provide site selection data and information to industrial and commercial clients and site selectors and liaise with local industries to arrange site visits.
- Identify and analyze geographic markets, sectors and individual companies for business attraction to Sarnia-Lambton
- Conduct business outreach and prepare studies/reports for prospective business clients regarding new or expanded businesses in order to facilitate their decisions on locating new investment in Sarnia-Lambton
- Undertake initiatives to support business growth and population growth.
- Work with existing and identify new business sectors promoting growth opportunities.
- Support the growth of current businesses through business strategies and maintain a pro-active outreach program to targeted sectors.
- Initiate and maintain a contact program with identified prospect firms, industry associations, government representatives and other intermediaries to promote Sarnia-Lambton.
- Maintain a detailed record system of prospect activity as per SLEP practices and play a lead role with ongoing Customer Relations Management (CRM) software implementation and activities.
- Organize and implement specific business strategies through SLEP and in support of local municipal efforts.
- Initiate and co-ordinate meetings with appropriate groups/municipalities to identify operational projects.
- Serve as a catalyst for the creation of economic development policies and projects within the County.
- Communicate awareness of trends, techniques and opportunities for growth to staff, local and external partners and community groups.
- Provide education to local businesses on market development and associated topics
- Keep abreast of government legislation and funding programs and prepare grant and project applications if required.
- Maintain effective communications and networks with agencies, organizations, government bodies and individuals capable of identifying, influencing or directing new economic development and investment opportunities to Sarnia-Lambton.
- Provide advice and support to the CEO and other staff when requested with respect to their areas of activity.
- Conduct on-site visits with business clients and provide assistance in support of their business investment inquiries and activities.
- Arrange sector-specific tours of Sarnia-Lambton for clients and prospective clients.
- Incumbents must keep up-to-date on all relevant legislation, collective bargaining agreements, County Policies and Procedures, etc. ensuring that these are implemented as prescribed
- Incumbents must possess the physical ability to meet the duties and responsibilities of the job description and/or the requirements identified within the position’s Physical Demands Analysis
These describe the general nature and level of work being performed by incumbents in this classification. They are not an exhaustive list of all job duties in the classification. Other duties may be assigned.
Direct Supervision: None
Indirect Supervision: None
Functional Authority: Effectively communicates and collaborates with industry, government and the community.
Minimum Formal Education:
- A degree from a recognized university in marketing, business administration/commerce, economics, diploma/degree in economic development
- Five years of experience in a business development role.
- Experience in sales, marketing and developing business and marketing plans.
- Experienced in Microsoft office suite.
- Possess excellent oral and written communications, strong presentation skills and successful client relationship management skills.
- Proven understanding and working knowledge of new media/social media marketing tools, knowledge and experience in working with government funding programs as well as the ability to work independently and in a team environment.
A valid Ontario driver’s license and use of a vehicle.
How to Apply
To view the full job posting and to apply online by midnight Sunday, August 26, 2018, please visit www.lambtononline.ca/jobs and select Job# J0818-0071.
After Sunday, August 26, 2018, please send applications to firstname.lastname@example.org.