The City of Guelph is a vibrant and diverse community with a unique sense of place located in southern Ontario along the Innovation Corridor that runs between Toronto and Kitchener-Waterloo. We are also one of Canada’s fastest-growing cities with a projected population increase from 135,000 people to almost 170,000 in the next 10 years. Guelph is consistently ranked as one of the best places in Canada to live, work, and play—all good reasons to consider a career in this beautiful city.
Guided by the goals and objectives of the City of Guelph Strategic Plan and committed to the Corporate Values of integrity, service, inclusion, wellness and learning, the candidate will aid in the achievement of the Community Vision – an inclusive, connected, prosperous city where we look after each other and our environment.
The Economic Development Officer -Investment Attraction and Real Estate will be responsible for developing and leading economic development programs that enhance Guelph’s position as a competitive and prosperous location for private and public investment that will positively contribute to the City’s employment and non-residential tax base. Guided by the City of Guided by the goals and objectives of the City’s Strategic Plan and committed to the Corporate Values of integrity, service, inclusion, wellness and learning, the candidate will aid in the achievement of the Vision for an inclusive, connected and prosperous city.
- Develop and implement an investment attraction strategy and action plan, including the development of an investment attraction marketing strategy.
- Prepare comprehensive site selection proposals for new investment and respond to inquiries from companies, developers, site selectors and ICI brokers.
- Build and sustain credible, long-term relationships with clients, industry associations, realtors, cluster and sector groups, public sector organizations, service providers and other stakeholders to enhance lead generation and client servicing;
- Leverage business development assets in Guelph’s targeted growth sectors to identify prospective investment leads, and follow up with outreach calls, visits, meetings and/or real estate tours.
- Lead economic development and trade events, delegations, incoming and outgoing missions, industry conferences, etc.
- Lead the promotion and sales of lands in the City owned Hanlon Creek Business Park.
- Project manage the disposition of Phase 3 employment lands in the City owned Hanlon Creek Business Park.
- Project manage the 200 Beverley Street redevelopment project.
- Represent the City and participate in various committees and local, regional and provincial economic development organizations.
- Carry out other departmental and corporate duties as required.
- Ec.D and CEcD professional certifications are an asset
- Experience related to the duties listed above normally acquired through a Degree in Business/Commerce, Economic Development, Urban Planning, Real Estate Development, Public Administration and/or closely related field and progressive experience in the field with demonstrated background in business, economic development planning, real estate and land development, business development, sales and marketing. Candidates with an equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Demonstrated relationship building skills and the ability to initiate, develop, influence and maintain collaborative relationships with a diverse group of stakeholders both internally and externally, including staff, Council, higher levels of government, business, community organizations and academia sectors.
- Strong project management skills for high profile portfolios within set timelines and budgetary constraints. A certificate in project management would be considered an asset.
- Strong business acumen.
- Ability to think and act strategically in a political and community based service environment.
- Excellent verbal and written communication and presentation skills with the ability to communicate and work with all levels of staff, stakeholders and the general public.
- Exceptional judgement and political sensitivity in complex situations
- Advanced skills in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Powerpoint, Excel, Outlook) Experience and ability to manage and use database programs such as Microsoft Dynamics 365 and AMANDA would be considered an asset.
- Valid class G Driver’s licence with good driving record and a reliable vehicle to be used on corporate business, Successful candidates will be required to provide a current driver’s abstract prior to their start date to confirm their licence is held in good standing and that is has not been suspended or revoked under the Highway Traffic Act (HTA) or Criminal Code of Canada in the last 5 years. The City of Guelph will take into consideration the number of demerit points and/or nature of the infractions to determine if it meets our requirements.
- This position requires frequent local, regional and some international travel with extended overnight stays.
$ 83,184.28-$103,980.35 per hour
How to apply
Qualified applicants are invited to apply using our online application system by October 13, 2021. Please note all applicants must complete the online questionnaire specific to this position at the time they submit their resume and cover letter in order to be considered. Proof of qualifications will be requested at the interview stage.
Please visit the job posting listed on our careers page and click on the “Apply for this job” button. Instructions will follow.
The City of Guelph is an equal opportunity employer which values diversity in the workplace. We are therefore happy to accommodate any individual needs in keeping with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. If you require an accommodation in order to participate in the hiring process, please contact us to make your needs known in advance.
Personal information collected through the recruitment process will be used solely to determine eligibility for employment. We thank all candidates in advance; however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted.