We are looking for… a driven individual interested in building a long-term career who shares our passion for economic development and building a successful Burlington. Initially a one year contract, this role is designed as an entry level position to learn the ropes of economic development and progress.
ABOUT BURLINGTON ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT
Burlington Economic Development is a non-profit organization established in 1994 to work with the public and private sectors to promote economic growth in Burlington. In partnership with the City of Burlington, Burlington Economic Development works closely with local stakeholders to help companies start-up, locate and grow in Burlington.
Burlington Economic Development’s mandate is to lead, influence and facilitate Burlington’s transformation into a vibrant and economically thriving city. Our five-year strategic plan outlines our focus on core objectives of keeping Burlington competitive, attracting and growing innovative companies and developing an attractive 21st century city.
- The Economic Development Officer Intern will be paid a salary of $45,200 per annum, plus benefits
- Flexible working practices and a dynamic environment. Remote work to start.
The Economic Development Officer Intern will support two areas:
- Working with the EDO Team, the EDO Intern will support the team with business support requests including servicing incoming attraction leads and managing business expansion activities. The EDO Intern will play a key role in supporting the EDO Team as they assist companies in both locating to and expanding in Burlington.
- Working with the Manager, Burlington Lands Partnership, the EDO Intern will play a key role in supporting the data and reporting of the organization, assisting with the implementation of the Burlington Lands Partnership and strategic real estate files.
KEY ATTRIBUTES FOR THIS ROLE INCLUDE:
- Strong interest and/or experience in the Economic Development and real estate;
- You have experience with customer service, sales, and are excited by the prospect of working with external parties to solve complex problems;
- You possess a strong attention to detail and ability to develop data and reports for internal and external decision making;
- You are a strong writer who can communicate effectively in emails, reports, and background documents;
- You can effectively communicate verbally and truly engage the people that you are speaking with;
- Proficiency with computer applications including Microsoft Office, particularly Excel, Word, and PowerPoint; knowledge of Salesforce software would be an asset;
- Excellent writing, verbal and analytical skills;
- Strong organizational skills to prioritize multiple projects simultaneously and meet competing deadlines;
- Ability to interact well with, and respond to inquiries from all levels including Board Members, Council, Developers, Realtors, Businesses and members of the community;
- Devotion to delivering quality work; and
- Proven ability to work as part of a team.
The EDO Intern will:
- Support the EDO team in the updating and maintenance of the Burlington Economic Development Salesforce database including the Customer Service Request (CSR) tracking system and reporting functions.
- Support the Manager, Burlington Lands Partnership to help the City of Burlington realize strategic land opportunities for economic and community benefits.
- Support the research, development and implementation of a community improvement plan for Burlington.
- Support the site selection response process for Burlington Economic Development ensuring prospects receive complete and timely information to support their investment decision.
- Lead the implementation of the data strategy to analyze, report on, and make accessible data for the Burlington business community.
- Coordinate project support requests from businesses, developers, realtors, council and other community stakeholders.
- Supported by the EDO team perform a liaison/facilitation role between business and City staff and stakeholders with respect to area based development and employment projects.
- Work toward the development of policy, plans, programs and projects that support Burlington Economic Development operations and strategic directions.
- Participate in and support other aspects of Burlington Economic Development economic development program, as needed.
EDUCATION: Undergraduate Degree and/or Post-Graduate Degree in Economics, Statistics, Business, Economic Development, Real Estate, or a related field.
EXPERIENCE: Experience in business/economic development/real estate or related business fields an asset. Project management experience would also be an asset.
DURATION: 12 months
WORK ENVIRONMENT: 35 hour work week, standard office environment, with some site visits to non-office environments. Must provide own transportation. Some evening and weekend work may be required.
To apply, please submit your Resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by 10:00 p.m. on June 16, 2021.
Thank you for your interest. We will only be contacting those candidates we select for an interview. No phone calls please!