Permanent Full-Time Employment Posting
Economic Development Officer
The Municipality is looking for a dynamic, energetic individual to promote and market the Municipality of Crowsnest Pass and serve as our Economic Development Officer. The Economic Development Officer will work to identify, promote, and facilitate business and industrial opportunities within the Municipality. The Economic Development Officer will liaise with the business community, developers, agencies, and all levels of government to secure opportunities for economic and business development and increase local employment.
How to Apply
For more information please see the full job description at https://www.crowsnestpass.com/living-here/employment-opportunities-page/employment.
The competition is open from July 11-August 8, 2018.
Apply before August 8, 2018 via email to:
Kristin Ivey, Manager of Corporate Services
REPORTS TO: Chief Administrative Officer
REVISION DATE: July 2018
Reporting to the Chief Administrative Officer, the Economic Development Officer will work to identify, promote, and facilitate business and industrial opportunities within the Municipality. The Economic Development Officer will liaise with the business community, developers, agencies, and all levels of government to secure opportunities for economic and business development and increase local employment.
KEY AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY
- Makes an active contribution to strategic planning activities with Council and Administration for the Municipality as a whole, as well as those activities that specifically pertain to economic development.
- Facilitates and implements economic and business development strategies, initiatives, and programs in consultation with other municipal departments, as well as businesses and community stakeholders.
- Supports and implements the strategic objectives as set by Council as they pertain to economic development.
- Acts as a liaison between local organizations, businesses, individual stakeholders, and representatives of government concerning economic development.
- Develops strategies to support local business and attract new business and investment.
- Liaises with Community Futures, Chamber of Commerce, Tourism Alberta and other agencies on projects and plans of mutual benefit.
- Develops and maintains excellent working relationships with all municipal departments to coordinate municipal services as required to achieve strategic plan objectives and goals.
Marketing and Promotion
- Represents the community at trade shows to promote and increase the visibility of the region.
- Develops promotional materials in conjunction with other municipal departments and relevant stakeholders.
- Coordinates investment promotion efforts in working with existing and new business to promote Crowsnest Pass as a place to invest and do business.
- Develops a communication strategy to promote awareness of economic development initiatives.
- Represents economic development in media interviews and promotional projects.
- Secures funding for economic development activities and programs
- Acts as the Administrative representative on the Economic Development Committee. Attends meetings, provides information, suggestions, and advice as required.
- Develops reports, makes presentations and policy recommendations to Council and to the Chief Administrative Officer as required.
- Develops and monitors the economic development budget
- Strong Business Acumen – has a clear understanding of how business works, and what’s needed for business to succeed. Consistently exercises sound judgement and makes business decisions that consistently lead to favorable outcomes.
- Integrity and Trust – Seen as a direct, truthful individual; widely trusted and adheres to a strong set of core values and ethics.
- Strong Leadership Skills – Provides leadership while giving guidance and support. Mentors and is a positive role model who has the ability to communicate potential opportunities to stakeholders and municipal departments.
- Strong Interpersonal Skills – Works cooperatively with others; uses diplomacy and tact to diffuse tense situations; makes people feel important and valued.
- Action Oriented – Can be counted on to get things done; energetic; makes good decisions and meets work product deadlines.
- Planning & Organizing – Effective planner and project manager; uses resources effectively and efficiently; sets clear expectations; designs practical processes and procedures.
- Communication Skills – A clear, concise, and positive written and verbal communicator who is able to build trust through presenting ideas clearly while effectively listening to others. Demonstrates a strong ability to work effectively within a public-sector environment and is politically astute.
- Problem Solving Skills – Uses rigorous logic and methods to investigate and solve problems; excellent at analysis; looks beyond the obvious; able to develop practical and innovative solutions.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
The position requires the following minimum qualifications:
- Related degree or diploma in business administration, economics, or marketing.
- A minimum of five years of experience in economic development.
- Membership in provincial and national economic development associations.
- Proficient in MS Office Suite.
The following would be considered an asset:
- EcD designation (Economic Developers Association of Canada).