The Corporation of the County of Huron
Economic Development Department
Requires One (1) Full Time
Economic Development Officer
One (1) Permanent position
The County of Huron, known as “Ontario’s West Coast,” is a mosaic of vibrant communities along the shores of Lake Huron. The County has a population of 60,000 people. Amidst pastoral and marine scenery, the County’s economic strengths are agriculture, manufacturing and tourism.
The Economic Development Department requires a Economic Development Officer who will foster business and economic growth in Huron County. This role requires a team player that is motivated, can build strong partnerships and is constantly pursuing opportunities for growth. Solid experience in business development and working with multiple stakeholders at once in an outcome driven environment is preferred. This is a key position within the Huron County Economic Development team. A creative thinker with excellent problem solving skills will thrive in this position.
We are seeking someone who: enjoys working in a collaborative and team focused environment; is creative, ambitious, hardworking and energetic; and understands business and the minds of entrepreneurs as well as how to create small, strategic and surgical impacts that have lasting beneficial outcomes on the local economy.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Pursue business expansion, investment and other growth opportunities within County
- Act as one stop shop for business community in Huron County on items related to development
- Provide advice, support and assistance to businesses
- Act as a liaison to guide potential investors through County development process
- Dedication to learning about Huron County businesses and staying attuned to their needs
- Develop strong relationships with Huron County business community, County stakeholder groups and other levels of government
- Assist partner municipalities to achieve development goals as laid out in their strategic plans as requested
- In conjunction with senior management, develop an annual work plan with clear measurements
Qualifications and Education Requirements:
- University Degree in a relevant program OR a combination of education and work experience
- Certificate or diploma in Economic Development
- Background in Economic Development or Business Development involving significant experience with and management of development efforts
- Knowledge of and interest in business development & good understanding of regional economic strengths
- Knowledge of agricultural economics and business
- Implementation of economic/business development activities
- Knowledge of and network to Government Programs
- Understanding of municipal planning role, function and legislation
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Self motivated
- Understands and appreciates outcomes and measured results
- Knowledge of supply-chain oriented development
- Ability to work independently and as a contributor to a small team
- Experience with Microsoft Office, online databases and customer resource management software
- Travel is required for this role, access to a vehicle is needed
Wages: This position is a grade 10 on our 2018 non-union wage grid at $38.84-43.53/hour. Compensation includes a competitive benefits package and pension plan that is topped up by the County.
Please email your letter of application and resume in one PDF document by 12:00pm, Monday January 2, 2019 to firstname.lastname@example.org
The Corporation of the County of Huron — Human Resources
1 Courthouse Square
The County of Huron is an equal opportunity employer. Accessibility accommodations are available for all parts of the recruitment process. Applicants need to make their needs known in advance.
Only those individuals selected for an interview will be contacted. Information is collected solely for the purpose of job selection under the provisions of the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.
Posted: November 30, 2018