At the City of Grande Prairie, we recognize and value that people have lives outside of work. We offer flexibility with scheduling, have higher than minimum vacation entitlements and comprehensive benefits that not only cover you when you’re sick but encourage you to be well. We have wellness events, social activities, community fundraising activities and a supportive work environment where you can grow your career.
The City of Grande Prairie is proud to be an Employer of Choice!
Detailed Job Description
The Economic Development Officer will be responsible for facilitating growth of the City’s industrial development sector. The successful candidate will market the City’s investment opportunities and competitive advantages at a provincial, national and international scale. They will facilitate industrial development by providing business consultation and information services and supporting prospective investors or industrial developers in their site selection decisions. The Economic Development Officer will also act as a liaison between industry and government to ensure business retention, expansion and investment continues within the city.
While the City of Grande Prairie has a diverse economy, incorporating multiple industries and their value chains, the applicant should have at a minimum familiarity and experience with the energy sector (specifically oil and gas), petrochemical processing, forestry, manufacturing, and their associated value and logistics chains.
- Act as a primary contact for business and investor inquiries, providing business consultation and information for industrial development in the City.
- Encourage new growth and expansion of existing industrial development.
- Proactively market and recruit industrial development opportunities in emerging industrial areas.
- Provide quantitative and qualitative information to decision and policy makers.
- Analyze gaps, opportunities, market place forces and factors for qualifying prospects, retention and expansion efforts, policy and bylaw development.
- Work with the real estate community and landowners to identify suitable properties for relocation or growth. Act as liaison between businesses and real estate community for active projects coming from outside of the community.
- Liaise and develop collaborative relationships with various industry groups, external stakeholders and levels of government to further the economic and business interest of the City.
- Influence the development of Strategic Plans, Municipal Development Plan, Area Structure Plans and the Land Use Bylaw to position the City for economic sustainability and growth.
Skills and Abilities
- Ability to work independently and shift priorities as necessary.
- Ability to manage diverse business development activities identifying current and future challenges.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills along with the ability to inspire confidence and trust with internal and external stakeholders.
- Business development or marketing experience is desirable.
- Strong strategic and analytical capabilities with the ability to apply knowledge of public and private economic development techniques and resources to complex issues.
- Minimum of five years of experience in an economic development, business development, industry relations or similar role with a focus on industrial sectors.
- Bachelor’s degree in Business, Commerce, Marketing, Social Sciences or another related field.
- Familiarity with applicable online platforms for real estate research, industry research, and professional social media.
8:00a.m. to 5:00p.m. with some evenings and travel outside regular hours.
$42.93-$52.71 per hour
We thank you in advance for your interest. Those selected for an interview will be contacted by phone or email. We will contact those who did not make it to the interview stage by email within one month of the closing date of this job posting.
2. Applications will be reviewed, short-listed and interviews will be scheduled.
Note: Once you apply and upload a resume you should receive an email confirming that your application has been submitted for this position. If you receive this email, there is NO further need to contact us regarding this position.
- This posting will be open until a suitable candidate(s) is/are found.
Due to the high volume of applications that we receive per job posting, we are not able to answer job specific questions before the interview stage. If you are successful in getting to the job interview stage, we will be more than happy to answer any questions you might have at that time.