Position ID: J0617-0353
Job Title: ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT OFFICER
Job Type: Full Time
Department: Economic Development
Number Of Positions: 1
Closing Date: June 28, 2017
Min Salary: $84,373.00/Year
Max Salary: $105,466.00/Year
The City of Airdrie fosters a culture of accountability and values open dialogue, innovation and entrepreneurial spirit, collaborative relationships, learning, ownership, and encouraging the heart. We are searching for another team member who will help us get to the next level.
Business Unit Information:
Airdrie Economic Development is recruiting for an experienced, positive and highly energetic Economic Development Officer to join its team.
As part of the Economic Development Team, your strong interpersonal skills and professional style will be integral to the job as you will be interacting with internal and external stakeholders. The ability to build relationships with local businesses, investors and community partners is crucial to your success.
You will be responsible for assisting in the implementation of the department’s annual business plan to meet both Council and Corporate strategic goals. Creativity and strong written and verbal communication skills will be required as you develop and coordinate a variety of programs and services in the areas of investment attraction, business development, marketing, research and information services.
In this position you will work collaboratively within a team, and report directly to the Team Leader of Economic Development.
Primary Accountabilities Include:
- Developing, implementing and managing strategies and project plans in a wide variety of areas including, but not limited to, investment attraction, entrepreneurial development, business support services, post-secondary education and workforce training, marketing and social media, business satisfaction survey, broadband, target sectors, tourism, placemaking, real estate and land development and more
- Supporting in the development and implementation of a 10-year economic strategy
- Providing excellent customer service to new investors and local businesses and providing assistance and referral services. This includes assisting with zoning, permitting, and real estate inquiries
- Responding to and generating business inquiries and leads. Working with business owners, investors, realtors and developers to pursue these leads
- Representing the department at local events and delivering presentations about economic development services and the Airdrie market
- Promoting Airdrie to external audiences at events, conference, trade shows and other investment attraction venues
- Conducting, analyzing and interpreting research on the local business, community prospect companies, economic impacts, economic development best practices, and industry and business trends
- Working with community partners to implement programs and initiatives
- Working collaboratively with internal departments on policies, programs and services that would benefit local businesses
- An undergraduate degree in a discipline related to economic development (communications, marketing, business admin)
- Hold or be working toward Ec.D. or CEcD certification
- 5-10 years of experience working directly in the economic development field
- Experience working in economic development with a municipality
- Experience developing and implementing strategies, programs and services that meets the needs of the business community
- Work collaboratively with internal and external groups and consultants
- Ability to broker land development deals
- Experience working in a cooperative team environment involving many internal and external stakeholders, tight deadlines and challenging levels of expectations
- Experience in writing, presentations, proposal/grant writing, and marketing
- Experience providing advice and assistance to businesses, from start-ups, investors and established firms
- Project management experience with the ability to balance a number of projects and priorities
- Develop actionable strategies and plans to achieve significant economic outcomes for Airdrie
- Broad knowledge of current economic development, investment attraction and planning issues in the Calgary region
- Obtain knowledge of related provincial and federal government legislation, programs and services
- Knowledge of Airdrie market an asset
- Valid Class 5 drivers licence
Skills and Attributes:
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills including experience in public speaking and presentation development
- Demonstrated ability to handle a variety of complex projects/tasks with competing priorities in a result based environment
- Display a high degree of integrity and professionalism
- Enjoy working with people as part of a team, as well as a self-motivated, proactive and independent team member
- Excellent leadership, organization, problem-solving and research skills
- Ability to build and maintain strong relationships with corporate departments, key business partners and customers
- Demonstrated project management skills, coordinating and managing projects and resources with the ability to remain innovative and positive in times of imposed constraints and challenges
- Excellent networking and relationship development skills
- Outstanding dependability, initiative, creativity and decision-making skills
- Proven background in providing exceptional customer service
This is a full time position (37.5 hours per week) and includes a comprehensive benefits and pension package.
Please include a cover letter with your application, describing any specific areas of expertise and interest; experiences working with businesses; programs and services you have either developed and/or facilitated.
Ability to travel and work occasional weekends and evenings is required.
Valid Alberta driver’s license and access to a vehicle is required.
Candidates are invited to apply online at www.airdrie.ca.
Postings close at 9 p.m. on the closing date listed in the posting. We recommend applying as soon as possible as we are not able to accept late applications.