The Economic Development Officer (EDO) is a highly motivated, self-driven, goal-oriented individual with exceptional knowledge of the community and outside of the community. The EDO must be confident with networking with government agencies, municipalities, small, medium, large businesses, and First Nations.
The EDO must be able to research and produce reports regarding various Economic Development opportunities. The EDO will be required to make detailed presentations to the Director of Operations, Chief and council.
The goal of the EDO is to develop ways to generate income, investment, and business for any business operation that Caldwell First Nations pursues.
- Possess a Degree/Diploma in Business, Economical Development, or proven experience.
- 5-7 years of experience in business and economic development.
- Certificate in Economic Development or similar training considered an asset.
- Certified Economic Developer (Ec.D.) from the Economic Developers Association of Canada (EDAC) is an asset
- Experience working with First Nations an asset.
- Experience in business planning, expansion, financial management are considered assets.
- Experience working with large budgets.
- Experience in marketing, sales, and promoting business opportunities considered an asset.
- Preparing and distributing meeting packages with detailed information and able to communicate to specific target groups; administrative support is available.
- Experience writing and developing and analyze business plans/action plans.
- Must be willing to obtain further training as required.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Able to provide detailed statistical reports and present to Director of Operations, Chief and Council or other groups as requested.
- Possess a sound understanding of the economic impact of various events that occur, whether it is government, unemployment rate, business and market trends.
- Understanding of various legislation, policies and procedures that need to be followed.
- Proven ability to develop successful businesses and economic relationships and opportunities.
- Able to take on a large workload and work under pressure and deadlines and short timeframes.
- Building strategic partnerships and facilitate the development of collaborative relationships.
- Strong persuasive skills and able to support recommendations with detailed research and background information.
- Able to network and build strong working relationships.
- Entrepreneurial experience is an asset.
- Demonstrated ability to work in stressful situations and circumstances.
- Ability to work under minimal supervision and in a team.
- Proficiency in computer-based word processing and MS Office programs.
- Well developed organizational, administrative and time management skills.
- Be able to meet all timelines.
- as needed to meet legislation that governs families.
- Perform other duties as reasonably assigned.
- Strong public speaking and presentation skills.
- Proposal writing skills and ability to generate funding opportunities.
- Able to write briefing notes and draft correspondence.
- Energetic, enjoys networking, meeting new people, and developing partnerships.
- Creative strategic thinker, able to set short-term and long-term goals, achieve and overcome challenges.
- Plan and execute difficult projects
- Ability to multitask and handle multiple large projects at the same time and identify when a project manager is required for specific initiatives or projects based on expertise required.
- Ability to maintain discretion, tact, diplomacy, compassion, and good judgment at all times under demanding circumstances and in a dynamic working environment.
- Ability to resolve conflicts and foster unity.
- Ability to establish and maintain professional working relations with staff, citizens, funders, and the general public.
- Ability to work flexible hours or overtime as may be reasonably required.
- Must maintain confidentiality at all times and maintain professional boundaries.
- Able to travel as part of the position when required.
- Attend, schedule, coordinator, and facilitate meetings.
- Sit on any boards if necessary.
- Must provide three references, including three professional references. At least 2 must be able to confirm large projects you worked on that were extremely successful.
- Please state salary expectations.
Must have valid driver’s license and reliable transportation as travel will be required.
Criminal Record and vulnerable sector check will be required from the successful applicant.
If Selected for an interview, you will receive a scenario 5 days in advance. You will be required to deliver a 25-30 minutes presentation to a panel which includes the Council. There will be an interview as well as a test.
Please submit cover letter and resume to:
James Siu, Human Resources Generalist
Caldwell First Nation
14 Orange Street
Leamington, ON N8H 1P5
P: 519-322-1766 | F: 519-322-1533