The City of Dauphin is the regional service centre for the Parkland area in Manitoba with a population of 8,500 and a trade area of 50,000 people. Dauphin is a small city surrounded by productive agriculture land, nestled within a UNESCO Biosphere Reserve on the north edge of Riding Mountain National Park.
Dauphin is known for hosting major events like Canada’s National Ukrainian Festival and Dauphin’s Countryfest (Canada’s longest running country music festival). Dauphin is hosting the 2020 Manitoba Summer Games.
Over the past 5 years, our city has been growing due to progressive leadership and dedicated initiatives with more exciting opportunities on the horizon.
We are looking for an enthusiastic and driven individual to help continue growth and momentum into the coming years. As the Economic Development Manager, you will be jumping into several exciting projects and working with current clients, as well as providing input and ideas for 2020 initiatives and beyond.
As a member of the City of Dauphin’s senior management team, in consultation with the Dauphin Economic Development and Tourism Board, you will:
- Act as the first point of contact in our community, providing guidance to developers and entrepreneurs, directing them toward appropriate resources, ensuring follow-up with approval processes as necessary.
- Provide site selection assistance.
- Identify and act upon opportunities.
- Actively market and promote the community to new residents and investors.
- Provide leadership within the position, department, and community.
- Create and administer programs as directed by Council and fellow Administration.
- Work with various partners and stakeholders at the local, provincial, and federal levels on a variety of community initiatives and priorities.
- Manage projects and programs for the City of Dauphin.
- Oversee all aspects of the City of Dauphin’s Economic Development & Tourism department, including supervising the Marketing Coordinator position.
The Ideal Candidate
To succeed in this position, the following skills and experience would be an asset:
- Post-secondary education in a related field.
- Possess or be willing to obtain the Economic Development Association of Canada (EDAC) Economic Development Designation and/or the Economic Development Association of Manitoba (EDAM) CommunityEdge accredited Community Economic Development (CED) Certification.
- 5 years of relevant experience.
- Ability to work at the municipal level, including an understanding of The Municipal Act, zoning bylaws, and development plans.
- Have a strong understanding of the Manitoba economic development ecosystem.
- Have experience managing staff and working with volunteers.
- Have program and project management experience from concept development to implementation.
- Be a self-motivated, driven individual who is flexible and willing to take on new challenges.
- Have a valid driver’s license and access to a vehicle for work use.
Salary and Benefits
The City of Dauphin will provide a salary package based on experience and education. Applicants are requested to include salary expectations in your cover letter. The City of Dauphin offers a comprehensive benefits package, which includes extended medical and dental coverage, out-of-country medical insurance, life insurance, long-term disability insurance, and participation in a very attractive defined-benefit pension plan, administered by the Manitoba Employee Benefits Program (MEBP).
How to Apply
Submit your cover letter and resume in confidence to:
Sharla Griffiths, BSc CE, CMMA
100 Main Street South
Dauphin, MB R7N 1K3
August 31, 2019