Under the general direction of the Chief Administrative Officer, the incumbent is responsible for providing leadership in the efficient and effective delivery of services by the Department of Sustainable Economic Development.
- Administrative/Financial Management:
- To lead, develop, train and cultivate the development and growth of the Department’s personnel in terms of personal growth and the maximization of service delivery opportunities.
- To oversee and monitor work assignments of all Divisions within the Department in order to ensure the efficient and effective delivery of services while remaining in full compliance with all provincial, federal and municipal legislation, regulations, and statutes.
- To prepare, present, monitor and control the Department’s Annual Capital and Operating Budgets plus the preparation of the Department’s long-term Capital Program.
- To plan, coordinate, assign, evaluate and supervise directly or through delegation, the work of all staff employed within the Department.
- To provide all necessary reports and advice to Council, the Chief Administrative Officer and other Department Heads on matters impacting on services provided by the Department including as necessary communications to the public.
- To develop and implement programs, policies and operating procedures including the development of methods, standards, scheduling and reporting systems for the achievement of the approved corporate objectives plus the effective and efficient delivery of sustainable economic development services.
- To undertake, as necessary, such actions to ensure the compliance of personnel within the Department to the policies, procedures, safety standards and practices of the Corporation.
- To hire, train, develop and ensure the evaluation of personnel within the Department including recommending the necessary staff complement within the personnel policies and Collective Bargaining Agreement.
- To liaise with Departments of Senior and Regional Governments and other agencies regarding the delivery of services by the Department.
- To oversee and administer the legal requirements related to the delivery of sustainable economic development services.
- To prepare or assist in the preparation of agreements, documents, and contracts including obtaining comments from other Departments within the municipal operation on the content of such documents.
- Exceptional Citizen Service:
- To assume the responsibility to promote the community in order to expand economic development opportunities.
- To lead and coordinate the City’s economic development efforts ensuring the implementation of the City’s strategic goals, objectives, policies, procedures and studies related to economic activities, programs and services.
- Acts as the liaison, managing the relationship between the client and City Departments by facilitating meetings with staff in relevant City Departments where appropriate, managing information flow between the client and the City and conducting follow-up activities to ensure client satisfaction and development completion.
- To maintain positive and productive relationships with the Red River Planning District, Selkirk & District Chamber of Commerce, North Red Community Futures and other organizations particularly with respect to those matters directly impacting sustainable economic development and related activities in the City of Selkirk.
- To participate as a member of the Senior Management Team in addition to adding liaison services between City Department and Clients considering development within the City.
- To respond to information requests from developers, site selectors, realtors and the business community in respect to development issues and processes including all data not determined to be confidential through provincial legislation or municipal by-laws.
- To establish and maintain external strategic relationships with realtors, business leaders, investors, consultants, lawyers, representatives of senior levels of government, institutions and other community organizations/local bodies involved in promoting economic growth in the City.
- To develop and manage a comprehensive brand strategy for the City and lead strategic marketing activities for the City.
- Capital Asset Management Program:
- Understand and comply with the City’s Capital Asset Management Policies.
- Support the development and delivery of the City’s Capital Asset Management Program by providing professional advice and undertaking related tasks as needed.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- A degree from a recognized institution in Economics, Business Administration, Public Administration or other related combination of qualifications and experience
- A minimum of five (5) years progressive greater experience in a management position, preferably in a municipal setting, in the areas of culture, recreation, tourism, commercial or industrial development.
- Exceptional conflict management, negotiation, decision making, leadership, analytical, planning, organizational, coaching skills including strong oral and written communication skills
- As a member of the senior management team, must be able to work effectively with elected officials, community members, unionized and contract staff
- Proficient in using Microsoft Office Suite, Project Management tools, email & internet, and the ability to learn new technology as required
- Successful completion of courses in supervision or management of personnel, budget and record keeping
- Certification or enrollment in the Manitoba Municipal Administrators Certification Program.
- A working knowledge of The Planning Act, General Municipal Development Plan and Zoning By-law.
Salary range is $91,946 to $103,486 that will be determined by qualifications and experience, plus the City offers a comprehensive benefits package.
This position will be open until filled. Full details of the position and job description will be on the City of Selkirk’s website located at http://myselkirk.ca If you believe you can make a strong contribution to the City of Selkirk as the Director of Sustainable Economic Development please submit your resume in confidence to email@example.com quoting position #2018-39.
The City of Selkirk thanks all applicants for their interest; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.