Reporting to the Chief Planner, the Director, Economic Strategy is responsible for the delivery of Economic Development programs for the Region; developing policies and programs, establishing plans and expected results, operational forecasting and provision of services; ensuring provision of appropriate reports; and providing leadership in promoting and supporting business and job growth in key economic clusters across the Region, in a manner consistent with Regional policies.
- Provides leadership to Senior Management and Departments to provide vision and direction in Economic Development for the Region.
- Analyzes and establishes strategies for the achievement of goals and objectives of Regional Council.
- Provides leadership in forming inter-departmental teams to address key issues and mandates as established by Regional policies.
- Provides ongoing overall direction, goal and strategy setting, development of objectives, policies, and procedures for all of the Division’s areas of business.
- Develops the annual business plan, oversees implementation and monitors the action plan for achieving results including regular evaluation of targets and outcomes, taking corrective action where/when necessary and regularly reporting on progress.
- Ensures prudent financial management of the Economic Strategy annual budget and all contractual agreements with external program delivery partners, service providers and consultants.
- Ensures quality assurance activities to monitor program effectiveness and support continuous improvement attitudes within the areas of responsibility.
- Oversees the development of procedures, guidelines and templates; develops policies related to the services offered and ensures adherence to the Region’s policies, guidelines and bylaws.
- Supervises staff, including recruitment, selection, hiring, assigning work, determining training and development needs, conducting performance appraisals and determining/recommending disciplinary action up to and including dismissal, in accordance with collective agreements, Regional policies and practices; ensures adherence to appropriate Regional HR policies and government legislation.
- Provides broad leadership to management staff, who are accountable for implementing the plans, through a process of planning and developing long-range objectives.
- Develops, implements customer service strategies and evaluates against benchmarks for best practices to ensure quality of service to customers.
- Provides effective relationship management with all external stakeholders, Regional and local municipal politicians/staff, government and non-governmental agencies and the communities served.
- Performs other duties as assigned to meet Department and Regional objectives
- Successful completion of a University Degree in Economic Development, Business, Planning, Public Administration or a related field or equivalent approved combination of education and experience.
- Eligibility for membership in the Economic Developers Council of Ontario or Economic Developers Association of Canada.
- Minimum ten (10) years experience in economic development and/or tourism, including significant direct senior managerial experience that includes program, financial, budget administration and human resource management.
- Valid Ontario Class “G” driver’s license and reliable vehicle for use on corporate business.
- Extensive knowledge of Economic Development strategies, tactics and operational/action plans.
- Demonstrated knowledge of applicable legislation, municipal and Regional government organization and structure, industry standards, issues and communities served.
Please apply online by October 23, 2019 at 4:30 p.m. As an alternative, you can apply via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org; fax to 905-895-4232; mail or walk-in to 17250 Yonge Street, Newmarket, Ontario, L3Y 6Z1. All job vacancies are recorded on a 24-Hour Career Line and may be accessed by calling 877-464-9675 ext. 75508. We thank all candidates for their interest, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted via email.
York Region is an equal opportunity employer committed to an inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection process. At the Region, we respect, encourage and celebrate our diversity. If contacted for an employment opportunity, please advise if you require accommodation.