ABOUT Parkland County
A robust and vibrant municipality, Parkland County offers a variety of choices and experiences for residents and visitors alike. With the City of Edmonton just minutes to the east, the idyllic setting of Parkland County offers country charm with easy access to city amenities. Parkland County boasts an exceptional mix of agricultural, residential, industrial, commercial, and recreational opportunities. With a population of over 30,000, this rural community offers a distinctively vibrant atmosphere with an assortment of country residential acreages and farming properties. As a progressive, rural community, Parkland County takes an active role in promoting and advancing economic development and providing the necessities and leisure activities for all families, while preserving the natural distinction that is the essence of our community.
One Parkland – Powerfully Connected.
Parkland County represents the interests and aspirations of its citizens, providing quality municipal services through strategic governance and delivering the best outcomes for Parkland County as a whole.
The following five core values provide a foundation for a strong, vibrant, and sustainable community:
Integrity – At all times, we conduct ourselves in a manner that is ethical, legal, and professional, while fostering a culture of honesty, trust, and fairness.
Respect – We ensure the equitable and fair treatment of all as a foundation of our policies and practices.
Collaboration – We build and maintain strong relationships both internally and externally, through cooperation, mutual respect, and open communication, working together for the benefit of the region.
Transparency – We conduct ourselves in a clear and visible manner, ensuring we are accountable for our actions at all times.
Responsibility – We focus on operating in a safe, efficient, reliable, and cost-effective manner, acting today with the interests of tomorrow in mind.
Under the general direction of the Chief Administrative Officer, the Director, Economic Diversification Department is responsible for overseeing all aspects related to the creation of economic growth in Parkland County. The Director creates strategic and tactical plans to achieve Council’s strategic objectives related to Economic Diversification. The Director leads the department in connecting with business, supporting sustainable development and bringing forward recommendations for change based on changing market conditions. This position is also responsible for strategic planning and budgeting; preparing various reports; all aspects of staff supervision; establishing and maintaining strategic networks, as well as working with the County Committees.
Key roles & responsibilities
Establishes and maintains strategic external and internal networks to support Economic Growth.
- Promoting Parkland County as a customer-centric business community.
- Supporting business growth through business development in Parkland County.
- Establishing and maintaining connections with internal departments to ensure organizational alignment and support; making recommendations for process changes where applicable.
- Establishing and maintaining connections with commercial, industrial and residential real estate brokers, site selectors, lending institutions, developers and builders.
- Providing strategic direction for marketing of Parkland County’s business advantages.
- Attending events to promote Parkland County and meet potential clients.
- Establishing and maintaining positive connections with various government agencies and neighbouring municipal economic development representatives.
Lead, manage and direct department staff, and where necessary make changes to department activities and/or programs.
- Guiding department staff and providing strategic direction to maintain focus on Council’s goals.
- Ensuring the department provides excellent customer services to its businesses, prospective companies wishing to locate in the County and to all other user groups.
- Providing technical guidance and professional support to resolve complex community economic diversification issues.
- Developing and implementing strategic planning initiatives to attract new businesses and retain and expand existing businesses in order to diversify the County’s economy and tax base.
- Reviewing department initiatives and goals with staff members; assigning and clarifying individual objectives, responsibilities and priorities.
- Monitoring performance of staff and provide coaching and feedback as required.
- Ensuring departmental job descriptions are kept up to date.
Strategic Planning and Budgeting.
- Implementing related initiatives under Council’s direction through the Strategic Plan.
- Strategically managing the department’s priorities to ensure alignment with all plans and documents.
- Developing, coordinating and monitoring department budget.
- Presenting department budget to Executive Committee and Council during review and approval process.
Prepares reports, recommendations and provides information in support of economic diversification matters.
- Preparing submissions for Council and Senior Leadership.
- Reviewing the work of other Economic Diversification staff prior to issuance of final reports and recommendations.
- Attending and presenting to Council and Committee meetings.
- Implementing directives from the Chief Administrative Officer.
Works with County Committees as required.
- Participating in Council Committees as required and providing support and assistance where appropriate.
- Providing pertinent information to the Committees to assist them in achieving goals.
- Forwarding relevant items to Council where appropriate.
- Planning: This position is responsible for the implementation of strategic plan initiatives to grow the economy within Parkland County.
- Financial: This position prepares and is responsible for the Economic Diversification Department operating budget and ongoing monitoring of expenses to the budget. Prepares business cases to support the Major Business Attraction program and associated reserves.
- Human Resources/Workforce: This position is responsible for supervising three (3) department staff as well as contracted staff and consultants from time to time.
- Occupational Health & Safety: Maintains awareness of and adheres to Parkland County’s Occupational Health and Safety Management System.
- Emergency Management: Participates in mandatory training and exercises. When the Emergency Operations Centre is activated, acts in assigned role.
Other duties as assigned.
- Serving as County Representative on regional economic diversification initiatives.
Qualifications & Education Requirements
- Bachelor’s Degree in a business, marketing, finance, or planning discipline or equivalent.
- Minimum of seven (7) years’ progressive experience in a related field. Business and municipal economic development experience is required. Supervisory experience is also required with at least two (2) years at a management level.
- Economic Development certification and membership in the Economic Developers of Canada and Alberta would be assets. Possession of a Valid Alberta Class 5 Driver’s Licence and satisfactory driving record is required.
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills as well as proven business development experience is required. Excellent writing skills and proficiency in computer applications (Microsoft Office) are required. Other assets for this position include diplomacy and tact in dealing with the public, along with being strongly motivated to take on new initiatives. Must be able to represent the County in a professional appearance and manner.
A competitive compensation package will be provided including an attractive base salary and excellent benefits. Further details will be discussed in a personal interview.
To apply please send a CV and cover letter to:
Ardyce Kouri or Angela Karwal
Leaders International Executive Search
Suite 501 Fox One
10226 – 104 Street
Edmonton, AB T5J 1B8