EQUITY, DIVERSITY & INCLUSION STATEMENT
The Region of Durham is committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion within its community and organization, and strongly welcomes and encourages applications from Indigenous Peoples, people of colour, women, persons who live with disabilities, people from 2SLGBTQI+ communities and people from diverse communities.
In accordance with the AODA Act, accommodation will be provided throughout the recruitment process to applicants with disabilities.
Manager, Business Development & Investment
Reporting to the Director, Economic Development and Tourism, the incumbent will:
- Lead the Region’s award-winning, central Business Development & Investment Attraction office, acting as the trusted voice for Durham to domestic and international investment audiences, coordinating seamless concierge services, securing commercial and industrial investment, strengthening local priority sectors, and creating high-value jobs
- Develop priority sector growth strategies, and foster relationships with Durham Region’s top employers that are innovating to solve global challenges, coordinating tailored support services that include an expansion support program
- Lead and motivate a highly effective Business Development & Investment team
- Develop and implement an Investment Attraction Plan, including identifying and continually updating the list of priority target geographies and target sectors for attracting inbound investment, generating leads internationally and domestically for prospective investment, and advancing leads through the sales funnel
- Strengthen the Durham innovation community by working with partners to enable the strengthening or creation of new physical innovation and collaboration space and programming for local innovative entrepreneurs
- Organize and conduct tours to showcase Regional assets for prospective investors and incoming delegations
- Lead research and analytics to inform overall strategy, improve business services delivered to prospective investors, and form key messaging
- Develop and maintain proposal materials and packages for investors specific to key priority sectors
- Maintain relationships with lower-tier municipal economic development teams for coordinated service delivery
- Build and maintain relationships with investment agencies at senior levels of government, and with the foreign trade commissioner service
- Promote the Region’s competitiveness and value proposition to the Realtor and developer communities
- Lead global business missions with or without delegations that could consist of Regional politicians, area municipalities, post-secondary institutions, business community and other stakeholders, forming or strengthening Economic Development Partnerships with other foreign regional governments
- Develop and manage an annual budget for the Business Development & Investment program
The successful applicant will possess:
- A degree or diploma in Economics, Business Administration, Marketing, Commerce, or a related discipline or relevant experience
- Several years managerial experience within the private sector business development environment or a municipal Economic Development environment
- EDCO Membership in good standing would be an asset
- Professional sales experience with an understanding and ability to conform to the sales cycle
- Strong economic analysis, research, and data analytics skills
- Extensive knowledge of business procedures in the fields of economic development and marketing
- Strong ability to build relationships at the executive level
- Strong coaching and mentoring skills with the ability to lead and direct staff
- Strong consultation, conflict resolution and negotiation skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and presentation/public speaking ability
- Excellent business development, project management, financial management and analytical skills
In addition, all Region of Durham employees are required to be fully vaccinated, as defined in the Region’s COVID-19 Vaccination Policy, as a condition of hire in accordance with the Region’s Mandatory Vaccination Policy.
To learn more about this opportunity, please visit: https://bit.ly/3P4YSZQ and apply online directly to Job ID#16336 no later than May 31, 2022.
We thank all applicants; however, only those to be considered for an interview will be contacted.