AREA OF RESPONSIBILITY:
Reporting to the Manager, Tourism & Special Events this position will interact with stakeholders to facilitate the development and implementation of innovative strategies and resources that promotes the City of Brampton as a vibrant tourism destination and supports new business growth and development. The Tourism Development Coordinator will be responsible for facilitating marketing and communications initiatives, creating new tourism product offerings, and the development and implementation of a Tourism Strategic plan. This position works closely with Economic Development and the City’s Regional Tourism Organization to foster government and stakeholder alliances, partnerships and encouraging new business growth.
- OPERATION SUPPORT
- Provide day-to-day coordination, guidance and support for defined programs, processes, policies, practices and project initiatives to meet operational needs and corporate service standards.
- Develop marketing and communications initiatives.
- Develop the annual tourism guide and distribution plan.
- Responsible for content development and maintaining tourism pages on the City’s website.
- Responsible for digital media content, including all tourism social media channels.
- CUSTOMER SERVICE
- Provide internal and external customer service by responding to a variety of tourism requests/inquiries.
- Act as a key source of contact and provide guidance, advice and support to ensure coordination meets operational needs and corporate service standards. Escalate complex issues to appropriate level for resolution.
- Build and maintain a relationship with cross-functional departments, team and management to support coordination and ensure a thorough understanding of operational needs.
- STAFF SUPERVISION
- Assess and monitor performance and discipline as required to meet operational needs.
- Supervise staff, prioritize and organize daily work direction to meet operational needs.
- Coach, mentor and provide guidance and training as required to meet operational needs.
- Participate in recruitment and hiring process as required to meet operational needs.
- COMMUNICATION AND REPORTING
- Prepare management reports, presentations and general ad hoc information as required accurately by established timelines.
- Create and maintain documentation and ensure necessary sign-offs and approvals meet policies and confidentiality.
- Advise management on destination development and other investment opportunities.
- Ensure initiatives and programs are effectively communicated to all stakeholders
- Maintain databases, compile and analyze data, statistics and other relevant research materials that track and benefit tourism development strategies.
- CORPORATE CONTRIBUTION
- Partner with Purchasing to develop Request for Proposals to hire consultants, and lead the work to develop 5-year tourism strategies.
- Collaboratively coordinate the City’s destination development initiatives and implementation of tourism development plans and strategies; prepare reports, make recommendations, presentations and conduct committee and other group updates.
- Work with a range of tourism sector stakeholders to create and execute initiatives that generate increased revenue for the Brampton tourism industry, directed to leisure, culinary and sport tourism segments.
- Collect and analyze demographic information to acquire the City’s target market(s) in support of destination development and identify where investment is needed to increase visitation and strengthen existing travel and investment opportunities.
- Conduct research and analysis using internal and external resources to gain insight of market trends, current programs, processes and practices to support management and recommend ways to improve business processes, service solutions and best practices.
- Maintain knowledge of collective agreements, City policies and practices, legislation, regulations and Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs).
- Serve as a City representative at related events and engagements as required.
- BUDGET SUPPORT
- Use of effective resource and expense management at all times to meet corporate policies and guidelines.
- Prepare budgets, invoices; and Tourism Development related financial transactions.
- Assist preparing Requests for Proposals, obtain quotes, and negotiate with vendors to obtain appropriate value for Tourism initiatives.
- TEAMWORK AND COOPERATION
- Work with the tourism industry to identify where resources should be allocated to support core attractors which align with Brampton’s target market and, coordinate the development of distinctive tourism experiences aimed for identified target markets.
- Maintain good/positive relations with tourism industry stakeholders both private and public, tourism associations and/or related sectoral organizations and appropriate affiliated provincial and federal government contacts.
- Liaise and collaborate with the Brampton Entrepreneur Centre and other organizations on the development of business training and development opportunities tailored to the local tourism industry.
- Work with Economic Development team to foster relationships with a variety of stakeholders on matters pertaining to tourism investment attraction, business retention and expansion.
- Participate in project coordination and team meetings as required to meet operational needs.
- Work well within diverse groups in support of operational goals and objectives.
- Demonstrate corporate values at all times.
- Assist and provide some support to Regional Tourism Organization marketing efforts as required and assigned.
- Participate as a member of cross-functional team.33
- Provide support/backup as necessary.
- Post-secondary degree or diploma in Planning, Economic Development, Tourism, Public Relations or related field.
- 5 years’ experience in Travel and Tourism marketing or development.
- 2 years’ supervisory experience, preferably in both public or unionized environment.
- Thorough knowledge and experience in developing and implementing economic, tourism and/or community development strategies and projects within a public or private sector setting.
- Extensive experience in tourism marketing strategy development, planning and execution for a wide range of tourist segments using print, web and social media channels.
- Require travelling and working outside and beyond the normal hours of work, including occasional mandatory evenings and weekends.
- Thorough Knowledge of Municipal, Regional, Provincial and Federal Governments and applicable Legislations is an asset
- Ability to identify business needs, initiate and coordinate project resource requests.
- Solid Customer Service and People Management skills; Interface with internal and external customers to meet corporate service standards
- Solid Organizational skills; Detail oriented, well organized able to coordinate activities and tasks meeting conflicting priorities and timelines
- Computer proficiency in Microsoft office/software, social media, website management and other internet marketing.
- Must possess a valid Driver’s licence for the Province of Ontario. The use of a personal vehicle for business use is required.
Exciting things are happening at the City of Brampton. To hear more of what our employees have to say, watch our Join Our Team Video. For some insight on Brampton’s future watch our Planning Vision Video by renowned Planner Larry Beasley.
**Various tests and/or exams may be administered as part of the selection criteria.
** Starting Salary: $76,060.00
TO APPLY: Please apply online, quoting file number: 102824 by February 26, 2018 at: www.brampton.ca/employment or via www.workopolis.com and search for key words City of Brampton. If you require assistance with the application process, please contact us directly. We thank all applicants; however, only those selected for an interview with be contacted. The successful candidate(s) will be required, as a condition of employment, to execute a written employment agreement. We are dedicated to equal opportunity.
The City is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes and work environments. If you are contacted for a job opportunity, please advise the Human Resources Division of any accommodations needed to ensure you have access to a fair and equitable process. Any information received relating to accommodation will be addressed confidentially.