COORDINATOR, BUSINESS INFORMATION AND POLICY
AREA OF RESPONSIBILITY:
Reporting to the Director, Economic Development, this senior technical position is responsible for co-ordination and implementation of Brampton’s annual business information and competitive policy plan. This position leads a team that collects and analyzes of marketing and business information used for policy development and to meet the City’s strategic goals for a prosperous and vibrant community.
Leads research team
- Manages a team comprised of an analyst as well as summer and coop students to provide above services.
- Develops the annual Service Plan and budget.
- Assigns duties and project to staff, and holds them accountable for job performance according to scheduling and specifications.
- Responsible for staff planning, recruiting, training and development, performance management and reviews.
- Manages the implementation of policies, procedures and standards.
- Continually evaluates the team’s activities to ensure appropriate allocation of resources and makes recommendations for improvement.
Create and deliver innovative presentations
- Articulate business information, statistics and competitive policy visually in a succinct manner. In this regard, remain apprised of the latest information technology to create stimulating presentations for council and staff, and in support of the various sector leads.
Coordination of business information
- Supporting Economic Development comments on development applications, OP/Secondary Plan reviews.
- Participates on special land use/infrastructure planning policy discussions and study teams.
- Coordinate bi-annual Employer Census and Business Directory CD/Web.
- Supports daily updates of the EDO website.
Coordinates research techniques and storage
- Implements the annual Information and Policy Work Plan, including the collection and analysis of primary and secondary research to monitor, analyse and report on economic, socio-economic, demographic, ethno-cultural and other key statistics from diverse sources.
- Coordinates databases and GIS applications. Provides technical support for the inquiry tracking system and central Contact Management process.
- Conducts sector and competitive studies (including attribute, benefit, core cost comparisons and strategic policy recommendations) within the GTA, Ontario, Canada and as required comparisons with similar US-based edge cities.
- Attend as required Corporate visitations, advocacy and business networking/alliances with existing SMEs supporting manufacturing retention activities.
- Support Business Development information inquiries and fulfill customer research inquiries and presentations.
Participates as team member
- Involved in assisting other team members in the fulfillment of their responsibilities.
- Participates in strategy and planning meetings.
Post-secondary diploma or degree in Economic Development, Business Administration, Geography, Planning/Engineering or equivalent
- 3-5 years experience in private or public economic development or corporate land development or in an economic-market research consulting firm; municipal environment an asset
- Intermediate understanding of GIS applications, field research techniques, primary and secondary sources of statistical information; knowledge of economic, market and demographic analytics an asset
- Excellent written and spoken communication skills (English); report writing and experience presenting to small and large groups, using the latest in innovative technology
- Computer proficiency in Microsoft Office, Internet research, desktop GIS software
- Structuring and negotiating service agreements, RFPs, Agency of Record competitions and contracts, corporate sponsorships and partnership agreements an asset
- Valid Ontario non-probationary Class G Driver’s License with access to a vehicle.
- Full or partial completion of Ec.D. designation through EDAC (or willingness to achieve)
**Various tests and/or exams may be administered as part of the selection criteria.
Starting Salary: $86, 221.00
TO APPLY: Please apply online, quoting file number: 102632 by October 17, 2017 at: www.brampton.ca/employment or via www.workopolis.com and search for key words City of Brampton. If you require assistance with the application process, please contact us directly. We thank all applicants; however, only those selected for an interview with be contacted. The successful candidate(s) will be required, as a condition of employment, to execute a written employment agreement. We are dedicated to equal opportunity.
The City is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes and work environments. If you are contacted for a job opportunity, please advise the Human Resources Division of any accommodations needed to ensure you have access to a fair and equitable process. Any information received relating to accommodation will be addressed confidentially.