The Corporation of the County of Huron
Economic Development Department
Requires a Full Time Permanent
Communications and Marketing Officer
The County of Huron, known as “Ontario’s West Coast,” is a mosaic of vibrant communities along the shores of Lake Huron. The County has a population of 60,000 people. Amidst pastoral and marine scenery, the County’s economic strengths are agriculture, manufacturing and tourism.
Reporting to the Director of Economic Development, the Communications & Marketing Officer will execute the strategic communications and overarching marketing plans and strategies on behalf of the Economic Development Department. The Communications and Marketing Officer will anticipate, plan for and respond to public issues; and provide communications support for the Economic Development Department. This is a key position within the County Economic Development Department. A strategic communicator who pursues creative win-win solutions will thrive in this position.
We are looking for someone who: wants to work in a collaborative and team focused environment; is ambitious, energetic and hardworking; a positive thinker who won’t miss the pitfalls either; and someone who not only understands marketing, communications, and public relations theory but can also do the work.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Provide strategic and tactical communications expertise to assist the Economic Development department in achieving program and service objectives; ensuring alignment with, and understanding of, corporate strategic objectives and priorities;
- Develop and execute strategically-based marketing plans in conjunction with other members of the Economic Development Department as required
- Oversee and ensure the implementation of overarching Department marketing initiatives related to County branding, business development & environment and lifestyle
- Manages allocated communications and marketing budget and resources
- Act as media liaison for the Economic Development department while anticipating and managing reputational risks, assisting with timely and effective responses;
- Administer the County tourism program, including designing and implementing marketing campaigns and products, coordination with community stakeholders, evaluation and reporting;
- Works to ensure effectiveness and consistencies amongst Economic Development marketing collateral (for example, websites, social media accounts and video)
- Makes every attempt to measure paid and earned marketing efforts and their effectiveness
Qualifications and Education Requirements:
- Proven writing, editing and research skills
- Knowledge of and interest in investment and business development oriented marketing, regional branding and storytelling and opportunity specific marketing plans
- Knowledge of and network to local and regional media, stakeholders and business community
- Understanding of Economic Development and Business Development
- Experience or background in developing and implementing marketing campaigns and/or brand strategies
- A Bachelor’s Degree with a focus in Public Relations, Journalism, Marketing or Communications (or equivalent experience)
- Knowledge of digital media, public relations theory
*Travel is required for this role*
Please forward your letter of application and resume in one PDF document by 8:30 AM (EDT), Monday July 9, 2018 to:
The Corporation of the County of Huron — Human Resources
1 Courthouse Square
Only those individuals selected for an interview will be contacted. Information is collected solely for the purpose of job selection under the provisions of the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.
The County of Huron is an equal opportunity employer. Accessibility accommodations are available for all parts of the recruitment process. Applicants need to make their needs known in advance.