Position: Business Retention & Expansion Officer
Type: Permanent, Full time
Salary: $46, 209 – $50, 181*
*Benefit package & pension contribution provided
Posting Date: March 8, 2019
Start Date: April 15, 2019
Venture North Building
270 George Street, North
4:00 pm on March 27, 2019
Peterborough & the Kawarthas Economic Development (PKED) is a non-profit corporation responsible for the delivery of economic development and tourism services on behalf of the City of Peterborough and County of Peterborough. We play a leadership and strategic role in developing the economic capacity of the Peterborough region. It is our task to serve visitors, promote tourism and encourage businesses to stay, expand and invest in Peterborough & the Kawarthas.
We have a team of dynamic professionals who offer economic expertise that identifies growth opportunities, provides services to existing ventures, and attracts new companies and visitors by sharing the region’s competitive advantages.
As the Business Retention & Expansion Officer, you develop and convert leads and inquiries into investment expansion, job creation and development activities that ultimately help PKED fulfill its mission to promote and facilitate business opportunities to create a thriving economy, resulting in regional prosperity.
ACCOUNTABILITIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Collect, research, analyze and synthesize information from a variety of sources:
- Create and maintain an asset inventory for each identified Sector.
- Create and maintain applicable sector profiles and value propositions
- Work with provincial, federal and municipal partners to identify and track programs and services to assist business.
- Maintain knowledge of land use, zoning and development approvals process for this region.
- Develop and maintain accurate data on investment and training support programs as well as industry/professional associations and their associated programs and resources.
- Develop and maintain an inventory of existing properties of available lands and buildings.
- Capture all activities in the Corporate Business Information System (Synchronist). Manage and track opportunities through the full cycle, ensuring information is accurate and current.
- Conduct other business development support activities and research as requested by the Director of Business Development.
Retain and grow the existing business base:
- Create and implement new programming to respond to the needs of local business.
- Provide referrals to BAC and lenders to facilitate growth.
- Complete an after care program for new investment / businesses.
- Work with the Director of Business Development to identify key companies for business retention and expansion in the Peterborough region.
- Connect with local companies, as well as business and professional associations.
- Provide follow-up business consultation services to local companies which includes but is not limited to; facilitating local and external supply chain network connections; coordination of grant applications and support of applications through government channels; and, referring employers to team members or third parties for further support
- Support local companies seeking provincial or federal funding
- Support clients pursuing expansion and relocation opportunities by providing services such as identifying properties, and recruiting employees.
Prepare analytical reports:
- Prepare economic impact reports for each new investment brought to the region
- Provide quarterly status updates for the corporation’s quarterly metrics reports to Councils.
Collaborate with the Corporate Marketing & Communications team:
- Provide sector specific content to develop and implement the annual marketing and communications plan.
- Develop and distribute marketing programs and materials that comply with corporate brand guidelines.
- Create content in the development of presentations, website, publications, etc.
- Develop and implement social media campaigns that are in compliance with corporate social media usage guidelines.
- Ensure timely information updates on the Corporate Website.
Support other PKED Economic Development Officers:
- Work closely with industry partners to identify and propose business to business lead generating activities such as trade shows.
- Develop a working knowledge of key industry growth sectors in the region, identify prospective investment and expansion leads and follow up with outreach calls, visits, meetings and/or real estate tours.
- Act as a liaison and facilitator for regional companies pursuing business to business leads.
- In partnership with City/County staff, assist in the development of land development strategies including, but not limited to, spec sheets, land inventory and market readiness of new acreage.
- Support local companies seeking provincial or federal funding.
- Initiate and champion special projects based on current environment, often in partnership with external organizations. Manage and support development and implementation of communication initiatives, managing project life cycle activities:
- Define project scope, goals, success criteria and deliverables that support communication goals in collaboration with project team and key internal/external stakeholders.
- Communicate project expectations to team members and stakeholders, liaising on an ongoing basis to manage expectations.
- Plan, schedule and track project timelines, milestones and deliverables.
- Determine the frequency and content of status reports from the project team, analyzing results and troubleshooting problem areas.
- Report project status, including project Key Performance Indicators to Director and stakeholders when required.
- Monitor and track project costs, schedules, resources, risks, issues and performance to ensure the optimal success.
Work within and support the Corporate Culture:
- Conform to all PKED corporate policies and procedures.
- Be a positive ambassador for the organization, the PKED Board and staff as well as the communities we serve.
- Provide input to the Director of Business Development during annual corporate strategic planning and Business Plan development as well as the associated metrics for reporting.
- Develop and get approval of your annual work plan and associated budgets according to corporate calendar timelines.
- Work effectively and efficiently to achieve your annual work plan on-budget and on-time.
- Proactively identify challenges and recommend solutions throughout the year.
- Actively participate in your individual performance review and demonstrate work that lives the corporate values, and follows corporate policies and procedures.
Customer service and relationship building:
- Provide information on programs and government regulations relevant to business retention and expansion.
- Act as an ambassador including formal presentation of Ec Dev programs and capabilities as a keynote or invited speaker or panel member to relevant events while providing information on event statistics and outcomes.
- Deliver exceptional customer service at every stage in the process.
- Respond to requests for information in a timely manner.
- Liaise with economic development staff within the City, County and 8 Townships
- Liaise with other Ec Dev professionals to research and incorporate best practices for business retention & expansion within the region.
- The region attracts more business and investment opportunities to the Region.
- The region sees additional jobs created and retained.
- Existing businesses continue to grow and expand.
- Ongoing reports are completed to share the good news stories and results for the Director, CEO, Board, City and County Councils.
- Growth opportunity potential is identified and enacted upon.
EXPERIENCE, SKILLS AND EDUCATION
Experience and Skills:
- Proven experience and track record in business development and relationship management.
- Track record in maintaining relationships with municipalities/planning departments and small business
- Background in and/or understanding of economic development with CED certification an asset.
- Ability to negotiate successful investments for businesses seeking federal or provincial programs.
- Experience in establishing and maintaining private and public partnerships as well as communicating with business leaders.
- Demonstrated experience in Customer Relation Management software.
- Knowledge of research and data analysis methods an asset.
- A demonstrated ability to use Digital Media. Proven experience and track record in business development and relationship management.
- Post-secondary degree in business, economic development and/or equivalent.
- Reports to the Director of Business Development.
Please send your application (PDF or Word document) to Barbara van Vierzen, Director of Operations at firstname.lastname@example.org by 4:00 pm, March 27, 2019.
Peterborough & the Kawarthas Economic Development is an equal opportunity employer.
Accessibility accommodations are available for all parts of the recruitment process. Applicants need to make their needs known in advance. Information is collected solely
for the purpose of job selection under the provisions of the Municipal Freedom of
Information and Protection of Privacy Act.
Thank-you to all applicants. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.