With a median age of 31.9 and a household discretionary income nearly double the national average, Grande Prairie, Alberta is one of the youngest cities in Canada and one of the fastest growing in North America.
The City of Grande Prairie is seeking a Business Retention & Expansion Coordinator to join the Economic Development Department.
Reporting to the Senior Economic Development Officer, the Business Retention & Expansion Coordinator will be an energetic and personable individual who is able to build and navigate relationships within the community while simultaneously seeking opportunities to enhance City programs. The selected candidate is a skilled marketing professional who will provide excellent customer service to internal and external stakeholders.
This position will engage with the regional business community in order to assess current or emerging needs and identify opportunities to further support business retention and expansion. The selected candidate will be responsible for developing marketing campaigns and strategies targeted at local businesses and representing the economic development department at local and provincial events.
Marketing and Communications
- Work with the Strategic Communications team to develop copy and design for print and online communication vehicles including advertorials, newsletters, brochures, ads, posters, media releases
- Develop and rollout communication strategies and campaigns targeting local businesses
- Develop regular reports for senior management
Public Relations and Customer Service
- Provide customer service support for business licensing program
- Represent the Economic Development department at local and provincial events including networking functions, tradeshows and conferences
- Act as a liaison with local businesses, community organizations, government agencies and the City of Grande Prairie
Research and Data Analysis
- Conduct secondary research on regional economic indicators and synthesize for regular public distribution and promotional purposes
- Meet with businesses and community organizations to develop relationships and collect data on the challenges and opportunities facing local businesses.
- Synthesize survey data from business visitation program and develop programming recommendations
Special Projects and Programs
- Research, develop and manage innovative programs and policies for business retention and expansion
- Secure and manage grant funding and resources for local business retention and expansion programs and opportunities
- Collect information on and assess the needs of existing businesses for retention and expansion purposes
- Minimum of two years of experience in an economic development, marketing, communications or similar role
- Public and private sector experience preferred
- Customer Service experience an asset
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to analyze and interpret data
- Demonstrated abilities in Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint, and desktop publishing
- Ability to work independently and shift priorities
- Ability to communicate and network confidently, both verbally and in writing
- Ability to establish and maintain contacts within the communit
- Graphic design capabilities an asset
What We Offer
At the City of Grande Prairie, we recognize and value that people have lives outside of work. We offer flexibility with scheduling, have higher than minimum vacation entitlements and comprehensive benefits that not only cover you when you’re sick but encourage you to be well. We have wellness events, social activities, community fundraising activities and a supportive work environment where you can grow your career.
The City of Grande Prairie is proud to be an Employer of Choice!
10205 98 St.
Grande Prairie, AB
Monday to Friday 8:30-4:30
$34.64 per hour
We thank you in advance for your interest. Those selected for an interview will be contacted by phone or email. We will contact those who did not make it to the interview stage by email within 1 month of the closing date of this job posting.
1. Submit your cover letter and resume using the “Apply Now” tab on this web page.
2. Applications will be reviewed, short-listed and interviews will be scheduled.
Note: Once you apply and upload a resume you should receive an email confirming that your application has been submitted for this position. If you receive this email, there is NO further need to contact us regarding this position.
This posting may be used to fill more than one position.
This posting may be used to fill future vacancies in this position.
This posting will be open until a suitable candidate(s) is/are found.
Due to the high volume of applications that we receive per job posting, we are not able to answer job specific questions before the interview stage. If you are successful in getting to the job interview stage, we will be more than happy to answer any questions you might have at that time.
Applications are being accepted until May 24, 2019